speed bar - buggy

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Dudek Nucleon but do to a back injury I'm currently forced to use a buggy. I hope to return to foot launch one day but in the meantime is it possible to get maximum benefit out of a reflex wing without using a speed bar? ... would there be another way to activate the speed bar without the use of your feet?? Very much appreciate any input!

digidydawg

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Dudek Nucleon but do to a back injury I'm currently forced to use a buggy. I hope to return to foot launch one day but in the meantime is it possible to get maximum benefit out of a reflex wing without using a speed bar? ... would there be another way to activate the speed bar without the use of your feet?? Very much appreciate any input!

digidydawg

I cant remember the last time I used a speed bar, so yes you can with out one.

I've never seen a buggy with a speed bar. The speed bar usually comes with the harness and most buggies have a permanent seat. I'm fairly MacGyver like and could probably cobble something together but would prefer if I could get someone else to test it for me:)

I guess what I'm asking is, is it still worth getting a reflex wing if I can't apply the speed bar???

thanks

http://extremeppg.com/2011/04/20/dudek- ... iew-video/

Check out the video in that post. The pilot had a trimmer system setup on the A's instead of speedbar. That could be something you may want to look into.

Most pilots don't fly with speedbar all the time and if your wanting a reflex wing for its stability than your still going to get that with just trimmers set to fast.

Jeff

I am taking an interest in this one because since wrecking my leg in a paramotor accident a month ago....I am still very much in the recovery stage and have a very long road ahead

another two months before I am allowed to put by foot on the floor... :evil:

So in my new found position and a detemination to get back flying paramotors Ive been looking at small trikes ...... 8)

There are quite a few on youtube based on a trike buggy that you can just attatch your own paramotor in a few seconds retaining your paramotors seat and speed system and away you go...as if you dont fly with a speedbar you are going to miss out on a huge range of your wings performance....also its way way easier to release the speed bar if you need to quickly....than to start trying to fiddle with trimmers....

I think you need to check your facts before saying eveybody who flys microlight with a licence needs a endorsement to fly a paratrike :oops:

as it depends on when that licence was issued... :|

if you are flying with the current NPPL you do.... :cry:

if its the old style a PPL ( M ) pre 2001 you dont........ :lol::lol:

Is that the same for a pre-2001 UK issued issued PPL(A)?

Edit to add...

A bit of research shows UK CAA issued PPL (A) and (D) are indeed exempt from 'differences training'. They also revalidate on the old 5 hours in 13 months rule without flight with instructor requirement unless the holder chooses to transfer to the newer revalidation requirements.

Glad you bought this up Gary as 10 years ago I transferred another UK CAA issued license I hold for a JAR equivalent. I decided to fly 3 axis microlights again last year so revalidated the SEP part on that JAR license and did 'microlight differences training' to make that legit. When I changed the address on my license recently they gave me a UK CAA PPL (A) again as well as my JAR license without me asking which was decent of them as that means I too am now in the same position as you. It also means that legally I am not required to complete differences training to convert to flexwing, however common sense applies.

Its a bit of a minefield though....who can do what with what. :? as always its in the small print ( somewhere )

I think the trailer towing laws (on the road) are somewhat just as confusing

I would like to fly 3 axis in the near future as well as my flexwing and when I enquired about conversion training was told I legally didnt need it :shock:

Now there is no way I would jump into a fix wing aircraft without training so I intend to get some as soon as I can hobble my way to the aircraft

of course to fly a paratrike i need to get a G reg for my wing......to make it legal

I think you need to check your facts before saying eveybody who flys microlight with a licence needs a endorsement to fly a paratrike :oops:

as it depends on when that licence was issued... :|

if you are flying with the current NPPL you do.... :cry:

if its the old style a PPL ( M ) pre 2001 you dont........ :lol::lol:

My apologies...

I did of course mean people who currently fly a Paramotor and want to fly a trike and do not currently hold any licence. Fairly obviously (I would assume) it would differ for people who hold a PPL already.

My post was aimed at people on a Paramotor forum, not a PPL forum :-)

SW :D

So to clarify again,

If you currently fly a Paramotor and hold no form of 'licence' (we are not talking PMC or BHPA 'rating') then you need to do the NPPL training with the Powered Parachute endorsement.

The NPPL (with Powered Parachute endorsement) only takes a couple of days to complete so not worth doing it illegally and the theory is simpler than a PPL, so you don't have to become a geek / book worm to fly one! :-)

Let's try to keep this nice and clean for people who are interested and not confuse it with people who already have a PPL or any other form of non PPG licence.

SW :D