Leaking gearbox pap pa 125

Hemberg

Hi there,

What an excellent forum. Can't for the world understand how I missed it!

I'm sure someone can give me good advice how to proceed with my leaking gear box. The motor is about a year old and unfortunately the gearbox is leaking oil via the clutch. I probably can have this solved via the warranty on the motor but meanwhile I would like to make sure I got the right amount of oil in it.

I used to have a moped many years ago and did a little work on that one and that's about it when it comes to experience with machinery.

In the manual it says that it has a sight screw but I for sure can't see that one. Filling an arbitrary amount of oil in it doesn't feel like the proper way to go so I guess I have to empty it and refill.

Since there isn't any plug to empty it I guess I'll just take it apart and drain the oil that is there. It's just five bolts.

It doesn't seem to have a gasket in my view, looks like they used some kind of liquid filler/gasket.

So before I start with changing the oil I should get some kind of liquid gasket I presume? or does it seal back?

Any liquid gasket should to the work I guess?

Or is there a more clever way to change oil/ make sure that I got the right amount in the gearbox?

Oh, great link! I didn't see that one.

In the manual to the pa 125 on page 31 it says:

3.- Check amount of reduction gear oil via the sight screw located under its left front side

(PICTURE 24), adding, if necessary, (by means of its top screw), max from empty is 40

ml. of SAE 140

Thank you both of you.

Oh, great link! I didn't see that one.

In the manual to the pa 125 on page 31 it says:

3.- Check amount of reduction gear oil via the sight screw located under its left front side

(PICTURE 24), adding, if necessary, (by means of its top screw), max from empty is 40

ml. of SAE 140

Thank you both of you.

If you go with the 75w90 synthetic its less. The other oil is thicker, i was sent this mix from a pap dealer he told me its a much better oil to use> !!

I think your pap dealer is right.

I changed the seal now and since I already had bought the oil I used the SAE 140. Removed all oil that was in the gearbox and refilled it with about 35 ml.

35 ml have to be too much, I made a testrun with the motor on ground an everything was okay but when I took a flight and landed I saw that quite some amount of oil had escaped through the release valve on the top and sprayed everything. Luckily the seal seems to have hold well and the gearbox gasket too.

I'll make another run tomorrow. The old oil that was in there was black and viscous.

Hi there,

What an excellent forum. Can't for the world understand how I missed it!

Welcome to the Paramotor Club :-) please spread the word to your flying friends. so they don't miss it either. :-)

SW :D

I think your pap dealer is right.

I changed the seal now and since I already had bought the oil I used the SAE 140. Removed all oil that was in the gearbox and refilled it with about 35 ml.

35 ml have to be too much, I made a testrun with the motor on ground an everything was okay but when I took a flight and landed I saw that quite some amount of oil had escaped through the release valve on the top and sprayed everything. Luckily the seal seems to have hold well and the gearbox gasket too.

I'll make another run tomorrow. The old oil that was in there was black and viscous.

Hi if you used the sae140 then the amount you put in is ok. You will find that it will soon stop coming out, it's just excess oil coming out the breather. Mime came out when I used only 20 ml of synthetic, but it has stoped now .

Just have to take a rag with you till it stops coming out , safe flying , all the best Clive

I have the PA125 with only the single vent opening.

and have found that the gearbox cannot be completely drained without opening it up.

Consequently when draining and refilling the 15ml that PAP recommend for this g/box, I always ended up with more than 15ml inside. This resulted in the clutch seal leaking.

After I figured this out and only put 10ml back in when draining, there have been no leaks at all. I now have 40 hours on the gearbox.

I went to a recent flyin here in NZL, and _ALL_ of the ROS125's we had there were leaking gearbox oil. Seems like a common point of failure. Some of the ROS owners claimed that they could never get rid of the leak even with new bearings and seals.

• 5 years later...