securing sites

I wonder what peoples experiences are of obtaining new take off/landing sites. I am yet to start training (sodding wind!) but I am interested to know how easy it is to arrange a flight from A to B. Im lucky that I have a field less than a mile away from me but If I wanted to go and visit my parents say 20 miles away or land at a destination, Im stumped at how one gets permission. I scouted out suitable landing fields but how does one find out who owns the land?

I imagine nobody has had any luck ever with council owned land like school fields at the weekend etc. Is there a registry that would reveal a contact address perhaps? or it a case of scouting out the location and knocking on doors for each occasion?

I find that if you take a copy of paramotor mag with you so you can give them some idea of what your talking about, and a copy of your insurance with you and just knock on doors remember that these guy's are hopefully gonna be helping, and speak to them politely and most will either say no or at worst will point you in a direction of some one that may help. I found the biggest problem was horses and most land owners had already let what spare land they had to them, i would always offer to pay or offer services in exchange it helps im a mechanic (even if i cant spell it). The main worry is noise so on a couple of occasions i took my motor to them and showed them or even a laptop with a short clip, but i have to say on every occasion all were polite and enthusiastic to help the field i currently fly from, the site of the Essex flyin (see the thread) took a year of negotiating and the farmer Paul is a top bloke.

Happy door knocking hope this is of some use.

Hi Wildboy

Im also starting training when the wind calms down! Where are you based?

Im based in Southbourne West Sussex. Im lucky in that I happen to have a club field within minutes. I didnt even realise there was one so nearby. Would still be useful to easily find destination fields though.

Good responses so far. I didnt have much else to do last night so I sent an email to my local primary school. I didnt think I would have any luck in a million years but it was fun typing it.

"Hi. I have a strange request that I am hoping you can help with. I am looking for field locations to land my parachute at the weekends and being an ex pupil I know EWCPS well. I need an open space to land so I can visit my parents for lunch. I am fully trained and can land accuratly within a 1 metre radius and would plan to land in the centre of the field. After landing I would fold my parachute and leave out the west exit into the village. I realise this sounds like an obsurd query but it is a genuine one and would save me having to land on the beach. I would be grateful if you could put me into contact with someone who can make a decision on this. It really would only be a matter of walking across the field to the exit having landed. look forward to hearing from you. Alex"

Response:

Dear Alex,

Thank you for your surprise email today. I have discussed your request with the Head Teacher Mrs Parker here at East Wittering Community Primary School.

She appreciates you seeking permission from the school to land your parachute on the school playing field but reluctantly will have to decline permission.

The implications of your actions would cause concerns on the ground of health and safety. The school and West Sussex County council would be liable for any injury sustained by yourself as would any damage to the grounds or property if we did not carry out the appropriate safety checks, risk assessment and ensure that there was a ground crew to ensure your safe landing.

It was lovely to hear from an ex pupil and we wish you a very safe future.

Regards

xxxxxxx

.....Think I will have to change my approach

.....Think I will have to change my approach

Yes, the Elfandsaafty Nazi's have bullied this country into being terrified of anything that sounds even remotely hazardous. A few photo's can help, plus a copy of liability insurance, qualifications, and some form of indemnity / release waiver (templates can be downloaded from the internet and modified) - as a couple of places have asked for these as protection.

....ground crew to ensure your safe landing.

Ground crew :?::lol::lol:

At least you had a response, keep us posted, always a difficult one.

I had permission from the local rugby club when I was in the UK, only when not in use otherwise.

Never actually got to take off from there.

Cheers,

Alan

The implications of your actions would cause concerns on the ground of health and safety. The school and West Sussex County council would be liable for any injury sustained by yourself as would any damage to the grounds or property if we did not carry out the appropriate safety checks, risk assessment and ensure that there was a ground crew to ensure your safe landing.

I am no lawyer but .. there surely cannot be any legal reason why the owner of a piece of land would be responsible for the harm that someone does to themselves while engaged in an personal activity that they have no part of. The concerns over damage to the grounds and property are valid though - so worth tagging details of your insurance with your future requests.

Doing this rally at the weekend will be quite a challenge on the permissions front - it will be very tricky to ask for permission before landing, as we won't know which way we are going until the evening before when we study the forecast. Generally I have found people to be pretty onside though for 'land-outs', as long as there are no crops or livestock around.

I am no lawyer but .. there surely cannot be any legal reason why the owner of a piece of land would be responsible for the harm that someone does to themselves while engaged in an personal activity that they have no part of. The concerns over damage to the grounds and property are valid though - so worth tagging details of your insurance with your future requests.

Doing this rally at the weekend will be quite a challenge on the permissions front - it will be very tricky to ask for permission before landing, as we won't know which way we are going until the evening before when we study the forecast. Generally I have found people to be pretty onside though for 'land-outs', as long as there are no crops or livestock around.

It pains me to say it mate, but IF you have permission from the land owner, they ARE responsible. Its better for the land owner if you dont have permission to use it.

SW :D

I am no lawyer but .. there surely cannot be any legal reason why the owner of a piece of land would be responsible for the harm that someone does to themselves while engaged in an personal activity that they have no part of.

Unfortunately the law on liability is complicated and there are many ways a landowner could be sued for accidents occuring on their property, even if they don't give express permission for you to be there. For instance, homeowners have been sued by burglars who have fallen through a roof or off a drainpipe ..... Also, the landowner could be prosecuted for any nuisance, damage or injury that your activity causes to neighbouring property, horses or other livestock, crops etc ... However unlikely this may seem it is one reason why some land owners just don't want to take the risk.

Land outs are different in that it is legally permitted to land just about anywhere in an emergency, and nobody can stop you in any case. Like you say it is usually never an issue unless damage is caused.

Thankfully there are still a good few decent people around who are willing to live & let live. :) Hope the wind drops enough for the rally !

Ok,

I will explain my technique to securing a site, I still have to get a failure ;)

You take off from your usual field, maybe even half an hour or more away, and you go towards the choosen field. Once there you start making circles, playing around. Chances are that the owner and/or his family is there working the ground, maybe also his little kids or grandkids are there too playing in the nearby garden. With a little patience you will find both.

While passing, kids are usually the most curious and will start to wave at you. "Perfect! Good sign!". You wave back at them and start doing 360s. If they are not waving first, you do it and they surely wave back all happy.

You keep doing this for a few days and soon you'll be a familiar presence to them, some unkown flying friend. When this happens... you are ready for the second move! ;)

You will land straight in the choosen field when they are there, take everything off and go have a chat with them (if you are not already surrounded by them by the time you touch the ground).

After you have "trained" them to get used to your presence, everything will be much more spontaneous and easy, they will be open minded. At this point it will be very easy to say something like: do you want to see a paramotor takeoff? It probably was already one of the questions they asked, and you will be ready to grasp it and use it to your purposes: to show them how to takeoff with a paramotor!

You will now have new friends that you can go visit by paramotor, and the first step is accomplished.

Your mileage may vary, it all depends on how well you play your cards... sometimes more than one visit is necessary, some other times you go back the very same day with a permission to use the field whenever you want, but in all cases, you will get there eventually!

It all comes down to psychology at the end, and for me this technique worked the best, much more than asking formally or politely, offering money or gifts.

You have to focus on curiosity, we are indeed curious beings ;)

I am a psychologist, can you see that? ;)

Ah, Italy sounds so nice .... let me explain how that works in the UK. :)

You fly from your usual field and spot a farmer out working his land so you start playing around, doing 360's overhead. You see him waving so you wave back and drop down lower, dragging your feet through his crops. You see him waving even more vigorously with a friendly 2 fingered gesture ! After a couple of days of this you see him raise his long metal stick of friendship. Although you don't hear the bang, you see the small puff of smoke and the pellet holes in your wing indicate that he is inviting you down to join him. Upon landing you make lots of new friends with the local council officials and police, who want to honour you with a special S.59 public nuisance award. They might even publish your picture in the paper and give you free accomodation at their special hotel with quaint iron bars on every window.

I am a pessimist, can you see that ? :wink:

:lol::mrgreen:

ahah, well... I forgot to mention one critical thing but it seemed so obvious to me: your choosen field has to be an uncultivated one! You are not going to mess around with farmers on cultivated fields or you get exactly the behaviour you described ;) Besides, they are useless to us, who wants to takeoff from a 6 feet crop field, except a paramotorist who likes to fake crop circles? :D

An alternative would also be to choose a field used to make hay, you just do the trick when the grass is cut and collected and if you play it well you get back with permission to use it when the grass is short.

Italy is full of uncultivated/hay fields, I suppose England is too ;)

P.s.: what is a farmer use of aerial photos that might raise interest? Just pride?

Italy is full of uncultivated/hay fields, I suppose England is too ;)

Yes, England is full of uncultured hayseeds. :lol:

Joking aside, of course I agree with you and we have some excellent friendly farmers. Unfortunately it can be difficult locating the right person to ask and even then it can take some persuading (often of the single malt variety) ! :wink:

Hi Davide

Farmers have a reputation for being very carefull with money (tight) so when some free pictures arrive, they are pleased. Seriously though, aerial shots do give a farmer a better angle to view a crops performance eg. where the poor patches are and also the good ones are. More than you can see by standing on the hedgerow or a gate. Bottle of whisky sounds good too :)

Dave