Bulldog

outkast

I didn't witness the Bulldog prop strike at the Nats, but agree that it would be interesting to see. It certainly appears strong enough to cope with a normal power launch ? Watched one being assembled while I was eating breakfast on Saturday morning and it seemed a bit fiddly and time consuming - although the owner (who posts on here) wasn't exactly rushing and did pause to chat to people.

As for the Parajets, I don't think they are particularly heavy or noisy. The new ones are much lighter than older models (although obviously heavier than a Polini machine) but strike a good balance between weight, strength & power. Build quality is superb and for the price they are probably unbeatable - particularly with the customer service factored in.

Surprisingly some of the noisiest machines seemed to be the Bailey motors (and the Flykes), and the quietest were the Nirvana Instinct's.

We couldn't help looking closely at the Nirvana machines several times over the weekend - the level of detail and build is astonishing (but so is the price !!!) and they would definitely be in my shortlist if I was looking for a new motor. Only negative is the cage netting - the quick release systems are great but don't hold much tension and it would be all too easy for a hand or anything else to pass through into the prop. :shock:

If I was a lightweight then the Flymecc or Kobra Karbon (identical machines) would probably be my choice for a low hangpoint machine, or the Bulldog if I was into higher fixed hang points. Lots of good machines on the market now, all with slightly different design philosophy's which is all good for the sport (and choice) although I still don't see one clear winner in either the lightweight or heavy/powerful end of the spectrum, so it is still an individual choice of pro's v cons.

I have to agree with simon, the Parajet stood out as being the noisiest motor there. Finish was fine and I like the addition of netting.

The Nirvana surprised me to seen as it was a simonini. Using the same exhaust as the standard Kobra Rocco it sounded sweet, like muffled power... The nirvana was also heavier than it looked but there is no getting away from a 200cc simonini engine at 18kg ish.

The bulldog power launch was a full power snap launch, but still I would have landed and checked my lines. As for the High low hang point discussion, I would happily fly either but currently prefer my low hang machine.

KobraPPG have stopped offering the Karbon as it was not really a lighter alternative and there was the care required to keep it looking nice as the carbon scuffs. Only available with the Sky100 engine as it is all made by robomecc. Water cooled and never popular in the UK which is why we have the Polini Thor in the Venom.

Bailey 4 Stoke did sound loud but it was being started with no prop and in between all the tents. Out in the field there were on par with the polini's which did seem the quietest to me.

Sorry to side track it is a bulldog thread.

Like the tank cover, like the build and two tone colour scheme. All collapsable frames are a bit fiddly, its a trade off. High hang is simpler to build and is down to personal preference as discussed earlier in the thread. I find low hang easier to launch and less cluttered in flight. High is more stable by it nature.

What size is the tank? It looked about a 9 litres or so.

As for the Parajets, I don't think they are particularly heavy or noisy. The new ones are much lighter than older models (although obviously heavier than a Polini machine) but strike a good balance between weight, strength & power. Build quality is superb and for the price they are probably unbeatable - particularly with the customer service factored in.

No comments on stopping every 5 minutes for juice? and I bet if someone done a decibel test on them flying past compared to other machines they would score nil points...it really was a racket even to the point of drowning out a polini which was flying closer to us!

I also couldn't stay away from the Nirvana's...they are top notch but with a price tag to match. The instinct is the sexiest looking machine on the market. Hands down winner with a miniplane coming in a very close second for me. If anyone is light enough to be able to fly the miniplane I would recommend one. Phil jennings had his on his back for over twenty minutes while out on the deck waiting to take off. I tried it on and it felt just like a rucksack, It wasn't the small one either! Lovely little machine at a good price.

Dont forget that you cant power launch with a Mini Plane until the wings lines are past the tent pole frame.

(the biggest down side for me with the Mini. One of my students has made a stainless frame for his which is 110% better (stronger)

SW :D

On 22/01/2020 at 16:50, admin (Simon W) said:

Now available including a full range of spares. 

SW :D

Simon consider this as hopefully constructive criticism but when i looked at your bulldog spares only one complaint ;), and that is regards shoulder straps to which most Bulldog owners would not be aware of what they are and with that all harnesses can be fitted with these, when Clive originally designed the harness with the stitched pocket for them built into them, so possibly the sale diagram needs and explanation or picture of them fitted as they are really good at what they are designed to do :mrgreen:

• Like 1