GPS tracking on iPhone - sharing location with others

peter_6095

I'm taking part in the paramotor rally at the end of the month (called the USSR, which starts and ends at an airfield near Northamptonshire). There will be 3 of us flying with a ground crew following with a van. It would be really useful to be able to track where each other are and so I have just downloaded Google Latitude on the iphone. Waiting for the others to download it too so that we can test it out. Question is - has anyone else tried this to track people flying? I hear some reviews saying that the update rate is pretty slow. Are there better apps out there which do the same thing?

Not too worried about the battery consumption now that my in-flight charging is sorted!

You can borrow my spot tracker matey. Anyone will be able to log in with any smart phone or computer with the tinternet... and if you land you can set it up to text your ground crew with Co Ords.

useful if you land in a tree, or a hedge ;-)

SW :D

Hi

There are a few of us that fly from an airstrip just south of Pitsford reservoir which is just outside Sywells airspace.

If it's flyable then we're up, so hopefully it'll be good that weekend and we'll have to pop over and say hello.

Just ask if you need any local info and we'll be happy to try and help.

Tim

useful if you land in a tree, or a hedge ;-)

SW :D

You aren't suggesting that I might land in a hedge are you? By the way SImon, I was wondering if you have any pictures of people who had flown into a hedge, I seem to remember someone doing that in our club...!

We tried out Google Latitude and it is pretty good - probably the option we will go for.

Sadly we don't have a ground crew now so we will probably stay within visual of each other. Unless of course anyone else from the PMC wants to fly with us (and could bring along a friend who could do the ground crew role).

I have just read an article about vol bivouac, it could be fun - though guessing there will be a few long walks to the petrol station without a ground crew:

http://www.paramotormag.com/2009/01/par ... basse-ham/

Hi

There are a few of us that fly from an airstrip just south of Pitsford reservoir which is just outside Sywells airspace.

If it's flyable then we're up, so hopefully it'll be good that weekend and we'll have to pop over and say hello.

Just ask if you need any local info and we'll be happy to try and help.

Tim

Tim, sounds great - any of you want to join us for the weekend? The details of the event are here:

http://www.bmaa.org/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=2404

We'll probably take off really early on Sat and try to get as far as we can that day, returning Sunday night. Might have to drop in on you if we are running too late to get back to Sywell. Useful to have another option so that we can make use of the whole 50hrs.

Just had a look at the regs and we don't tick all of the boxes but it would be interesting to know which trophies you are going for and your tactics for the event (if any). Will certainly be buzzing around if it's nice and will pop across and see you.

Tim

Just had a look at the regs and we don't tick all of the boxes but it would be interesting to know which trophies you are going for and your tactics for the event (if any). Will certainly be buzzing around if it's nice and will pop across and see you.

Tim

Shh, dont tell, the internet has ears :shock:

Oh yes, only £20 to register, but I had to send off that insurance form which I'd been meaning to do for some time.... £65 with Joint Aviation Services, who sorted it v quickly!

They don't require membership of any club and they don't seem to be holding to the requirement to register 30 days out (we only signed up last week). Need log book though showing 30hrs experience.