Newbie in Hemel / St Albans

Trickyh

Hi All

Just dropping in to say Hi, and I thought I would be a bit cheeky and be the first to post in the Hertfordshire section.. :wink:

I have my Wing and Motor sorted and will be training with Geoff S up in Huntingdon, but once I have my wings, I hope to be flying in the Hemel / Bovingdon area as well as making the odd trip out..

Is there anyone else local to me? I have found the Westmill lot in Ware thanks to this site and Dunstable hang gliders are up the road at Holmbeck Farm... anyone else lurking about? I am very close to Plaistows Microlights, but as far as I know they are strictly fixed wing and trike.

Cheers

Rich.

Hi Rick, I am in potters bar, theres a coulple of guys who fly from a field near here, but they are not local to the area, funny you should mention plaistows as I was up there the other day to see about flying out of there, the owner was not about but someone on site told me he was really welcoming of anything that flys, so theres hope, although saying that the airfield dont look best suited to PPG, thers a microlight field near london colney but they want £400 a year club membership to fly out of there, maybe when you are up and running we join forces to find a decent field in the area.

good luck with your training, thats a nice site Geoff has up there, round grafam(sp) water on a sunny eve is a nice flight.

I take it you have been introduced to Nick at westmill, thats a nice site too, possibly not for a beginner though, having said that I had my second flight out of there.

Regards, Dave

Hi Rich,

I'm Nick 'woody' I fly out of Westmill.

I think you've met Andy Davies - I remember him talking about you.

We also fly out of Bennington (Private Strip near Stevenange) as well.

It'd be good to meet up with you and Dave over a beer one night.

Woody

Hi Rich,

I'm Nick 'woody' I fly out of Westmill.

I think you've met Andy Davies - I remember him talking about you.

We also fly out of Bennington (Private Strip near Stevenange) as well.

It'd be good to meet up with you and Dave over a beer one night.

Woody

Nick let me know when you down westmill next, I will pop down and buy you a pint in the bar,be good to catch up. :D

Dave

Nice one, beers sounds like an excellent idea :lol:

I think i might have seen ''Woody'' and another PM'r tracking up the A1 just north of the Hatfield tunnel about a month or so ago and to be honest it's what made me start looking into it a bit more seriously.

I'm actually a member of Plaistows, so should be in a fairly good position to find out if we can be accommodated. It's owned by a guy who flies a DynAir(sp?) all glass hotship, but leased to Exodus airsports ML flying school run by Rob Grimwood (twice world ML champ and BMAA board member) Barnett and Exodus airsports club are also based there.

The field's on a hill, next to powerlines with some noise abatement issues from the Butterfly farm next door and it's fairly active, so we might be better off looking elsewhere... but there's no harm in asking :mrgreen:

I'll keep in touch as my training progresses

:explode:

Hi Gaz

I work on the business park in Biggleswade! So it should be fairly easy to arrange a meet!

What is it with this soddin weather? The two weeks my wing was on order it's dead calm.. Since it arrived, we haven't had a day under 10knots!! :(

Oh well,, I'm off kite surfing in Egypt on Friday, so I can guarantee you all that it will be calm skies and good weather for the next week at least!

Rich

Hi Rich (and everyone else)

I’m even more new to PPG than you are, but I thought I’d use this opportunity to introduce myself to everyone as well. I’m moving to St Albans in June so I’d definitely be interested in meeting up with you and the other guys in the area.

I’m booked up for lessons with Simon W in Membury and as soon as this damned wind dies down I will hopefully be getting it complete and be in the air as soon as I can. So hopefully I’ll be looking for places to fly from the St Albans area over the summer.

Good luck with your training and hopefully meet up for a flight in the St Albans area over the summer.

Dave H

Rich, Your place of work isn't far from me at all! yeah be good to arrange a meet somewhere especially as Andy d and woody are in westmill area. you may spot me flying around biggleswade once this wind dies down! Till then i'm power kiting on the blade!

• 2 months later...

hi all my name is Ian i am in hemel hempstead all so new to para-motoring but i am pilot rated in paragliding done a conversion course with Simone got my rush wing got new motorised risers looking for motor and somewhere to fly with any other pilot any help would be appreciated

Hi Ian

Good to hear from another PM'er in Hemel! I've been training with Geoff Soden up in Huntingdon for a couple of months while all my ground handling has been in Bunkers Park near Leverstock Green.

There's a few of us looking for out for local fields, but so far without much success. We'll have to see if we can pool our resources and sort summat out!

Rich

hi rich thanks for reply i have ground handled in that park good when windy but there is a lot of rotter from the surrounding buildings still good fun will have to meet up and have a play and a beer of on holiday on Friday will catch up when i get back i have seen some para motor pilot other side of aylesbury worth looking in to

ian

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...