what the correct wing size

Sorry if this topic already exists I did a search but couldn't find one.

Is it better to fly at the top, middle or bottom of the manufacturer weight ranges. For example, Apco Force sizing:

Small=75-140 Medium=100-165 Large= 125-185

Pilot naked weight: 95kg.

Motor etc: 30kg

wing: 7Kg

fuel: 8kg

All up +/- 140kg

That puts the choice highish in the Medium and lowish in the Large. Lose some body weight/smaller motor and you have a top end of the Small. What considerations or other criteria should be applied to the choice?

My instinct would be Large for better glide, reduced motor noise, etc but also recognizing that I would lose some speed and agility (is this true?). Does this affect collapse resistance?

Your instincts are all correct, and yes it is generally better to fly within the upper half of the certified weight range. Doubt you would notice much difference in agility or collapse resistance between being heavy on one wing and lighter on another (within certified range of each wing again).

The smaller wing would be faster on trim, launch & landing - although you may never reach it's top speed if your engine is not powerful enough to combat the increased sink rate - a larger size might be better with speed bar.

By the way, do you often fly naked ? :oops: Clothes, boots, helmet, instruments, cameras, reserve etc will all add to your calculated weight .....

If considering the Force I would go for the L size - it is only 1.5m bigger but makes up for it with a slightly higher aspect ratio. Recommended naked weight is 95kg if you insist on flying in the buff :lol: ....

I've been flying with the small and medium size Apco-Force

It all depends on your skill level not the area of the glider

Ozone Viper2 comes in size 20m2 and it is not for 40kg pilots, it is for advanced pilots who know how to manage the wing above their head.

If you are a new pilot or intermediate I strongly suggest to go for size medium not large.

It will be easier to inflate the glider and wing will behave much better when it's loaded. I have been flying the size medium in strong thermic condition with +140kg all up and it was amazing.

If you are an experienced pilot go for the small as it is so much fun. The high G on the spirals will push your neck back into your body.

Note 1: I don't get paid by Apco for my posts and I don't even own one.

Note 2: You need plenty of thrust from your paramotor for these toys, make sure you have enough thrust before you choose your wing

See you up there

It all depends on your skill level not the area of the glider

I think thats the point - an advanced pilot wouldn't be asking the question about wing size, and a beginner wouldn't want their neck pushed in by high G spirals .... :D

For a beginner and probably most recreational pilots it is better to be within the certified wing size for a balance of speed, handling, ease of launch & landing, and of course safety. With enough experience it would be great to have a tiny wing for pure fun.

:acro: