paragliding wing for paramotoring

I would suggest that all modern paragliding wings are suitable for paramotoring without any modification. Even comp PG wings and speed wings are now being used successfully.

Richard

It will need to be tow / power rated for you to use it under power.

SW :D

I am not so sure that the testers of the wings who choose not to include this rating would agree?

That comment basically de-values the entire testing structure for PG wings (which is currently very good indeed)

Also, check your insurance... If you have an accident will they pay you if your flying a no PPG certified wing?

I would bet my last £10 they wont.

Also,

Why would you opt for one that has not been certified for PPG use?

I would suggest that all modern paragliding wings are suitable for paramotoring without any modification. Even comp PG wings and speed wings are now being used successfully.

Richard

It will need to be tow / power rated for you to use it under power.

What do you mean by ‘power rated’ are you referring to the DSMV power rating, or are you saying that there is an EN Power rating?

I know some manufacturers will have there wings EN certified in a weight range that covers them for paramotoring. For example Free flying weight 100- 120Kg, paramotor weight 100- 165Kg get it EN certification at 165Kg then call it a paramotor wing. Others will have some additional load testing done 12G rather than the normal 8G and then call it a paramotor wing. I am not aware of any EN Power rating, am I missing something?

Or do you mean that the manufacturer is stating that it is suitable for power?

PaulD

I wrote Tow / Power....

Because, I was told by Chris Daws and other PG pilots since that the tow rating also makes it suited to power. (stronger lines, happy with AOA under tow / power and so on....)

They are of course tested to obtain this TOW certification. I am not sure if any of the newer PG wings dont have a tow rating to be honest, maybe things have moved on to that point?

I had an ozone buzz z i was told it was ok to fly with power.. It was ok and flew ok a little wobble here and there but was soooo soooo slow

Buy a reflex wing that is good for both not a pg wing good for both. both the fusion and the neucleon are good for both.

I have flown my fusion in about 20mph winds on the ridge. you couldnt do that on a pg wing!!!

Insurance needs a separate topic (please don't start one .....)

I consider hugging a ridge only 25% of the free flying envelope. Thermal flights offer so much more enjoyment, challenge and excitement. (acro is another topic also…) 20mph is also not that strong. Although I have a 'personal' limit of 20mph on my PG on take-off, I regularly see pilots launch their PG's in lulls when gusts are to 27/28mph (more when it's thermic). I have been on PG bar to keep penetrating ridge runs a few times, so it must have been at least 25mph in the air. I also once witnessed a lady comp pilot launch her 2/3 in winds above 30mph from Frocester (yikes!). The SA record breakers are not put off by 35mph ground speeds from their winch launches (they ascend backwards ....). I also see speed wings doing very well in high winds, but their efficiency is variable.

Wing loading/sizes are crucial when comparing wing speeds. They have to be very similar; else the results are nonsense, as is the comparison of wing speeds at different ENC classes.

Richard

I have flown my fusion in about 20mph winds on the ridge. you couldnt do that on a pg wing!!!/quote] (morgy)

I've flown the ozone vibe and the beginners Atom which are both normal PG wings in high winds. Parked at the top of the mountain in Grand Bornand France pulling wingovers and hooning around.

Reflex is not the be all and end all.

Karen Skinner sets a new paramotor record flying a paraglider with a top speed of 48kph. 'Blasphemy'? ........

http://www.ojovolador.com/eng/paramotor/

Excellent view from up there .... and good to see another Brit setting records.

Quite a few Brits waiting to have PPG record claims ratified : http://records.fai.org/data?c=11

and in the current list (mostly Europeans) : http://records.fai.org/data?v1=326

I'm sure there was some American guy on YouTube who claims to hold most of the world records in PPG but strangely isn't listed ..... can't remember his name ...... :roll::lol: