Canon HF G10 Mounting Issue

I have built a carbon trellis which mounts to my frame and hangs the camera and gyro (4.5kg) in front of my face.

I have also taken off with a full size TV camera a few times, this is normally attached to your crabs so that it hangs down pointing at the floor while stood and then it sits on your lap while flying. Open your legs to lower it, close them to raise it.

Whatever you end up doing, keep us informed mate :-)

I can send you some pice of my mount if you think it will help.

SW :D

This is the best mount I've seen so far : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190358537968&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

possibly with some elasticated shock cord attaching the camera neck strap mounts to the pivot arms or karabiners. This would provide for a totally vibration damped, stable 3 point fitting that should keep the camera safe during take off & landing.

I use a Canon EOS 350 DSLR with a 35-300mm lens hand held. I put it in my flight deck and make sure that I put the neck strap on before taking it out or putting it away!

Vibration doesn't seem to be a problem only the fact that I am not a great photographer :D

IMG_1807.jpg.17f67cae672547e469519549cd9

IMG_1812.jpg.e06e695b797836ea6477cc76b11

IMG_1816.jpg.794b47c0a78cfbf4c9277f98576

I use a Canon EOS 350 DSLR with a 35-300mm lens hand held. I put it in my flight deck and make sure that I put the neck strap on before taking it out or putting it away!

Vibration doesn't seem to be a problem only the fact that I am not a great photographer

How do you deal with the viewfinder, right hand shutter button business etc. Have you got your throttle on the left or the right?

I have a Nikon D80 with a 18-200mm, but it seems so cumbersome to launch with and use in the air.

ps which flight deck do you use?

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan

I use a Gin flight deck which I can clip in front of me or on one side.

I have a right hand throttle but on the PAP the throttle is quite thin and 'basic' so doesn't seem to get in the way too much. With regards to the viewfinder I have a helmet that gives me room to look through it.

It is a bit cumbersome but when you have finished taking lots of cool pictures you can put it out of the way and enjoy the flight.

I have seen someone put a full size SLR into the front of their flight suit and do it up over the top for take off and landing!.

Sometimes, too much is made of things that there is a simpler answer too (Electronic gadgets for fuel gauge instead of just using a mirror to look etc :D )

regards

Eddie

Interesting... but personally i find using the viewfinder a bit of a waste of time.

Luckily enough, i fly with a left hand throttle, so right hand is free to use my digital compact Canon G10. At any time during the flight, i can quickly pull it out of my front pocket in my flying suit, and its ready for action in under 2 seconds. Quite often you dont get a second chance to get the shot, so i usually pull a few off, bound to get one or two good ones. So far the strategy has worked well for me. Here's a few recent samples....

5660657548_c392b797d4_z.jpg

5660082227_9750afba3e_z.jpg

5636570011_486647beaf_z.jpg

5632372432_72ebcb3dc7_z.jpg

5631779671_239f700321_z.jpg

Great pics Gordon - what's the location of the second photo ?

Image quality looks sharper than my Panasonic Lumix, which I also use in burst mode (in the hope of at least one being good), although it does have the benefit of full HD video recording.

Great pics Gordon - what's the location of the second photo ?

Image quality looks sharper than my Panasonic Lumix, which I also use in burst mode (in the hope of at least one being good), although it does have the benefit of full HD video recording.

The location is on the north coast of Northern Ireland, and is called Downhill. The area is well known for the ruins of Downhill castle and the Mussenden Temple perched on the cliff edge. There is around 6 miles of beach stretching back towards the west, and on the other side of the cliffs there are more beaches- very popular last week!!

Downhill is on the A2 Seacoast road approximately 6 miles from Coleraine, Co.Londonderry.

Co ordinates are N:55.1667594909668, W:-6.82170152664185

More pictures from this set are on myl Flickr page- http://www.flickr.com/photos/20961594@N ... 464578251/