Bumpy question

matt_k

I fly over my local beach the other evening about 6.30 when the tide was out and whilst flying there was a constant warm air was on my face and very smooth but then i would feel the air cooler on my face and the air was more turbulent.

Why was the cooler air bumpier and what do you think was happening?

• 2 weeks later...
I fly over my local beach the other evening about 6.30 when the tide was out and whilst flying there was a constant warm air was on my face and very smooth but then i would feel the air cooler on my face and the air was more turbulent.

Why was the cooler air bumpier and what do you think was happening?

Hi Matt.

In the winter months you can experience sea thermals. This often occurs on the coast when the sea temp is actually warmer than the air temp due to the Gulf Stream.

In my free flying days here in Conwall it was the challange to do a coast to coast flight often north to south and often in one single thermal drifting in land off the sea. In March and April the sun starts working the land and you can, if you are lucky connect from a sea thermal to a land thermal. Some free flyers like Graham Phipps Pete Coad and the famous Bruce Goldsmith have flown out of Cornwall heading towards London on the westerly drift in this active early season. Sea thermals dying off now as the land mass has warmed.

You may find some turbulance as the cooler air mixes with warmer forcing itself under producing areas of wind sheer, columns of air travelling in different directions.

Regards.