Dudek Synthesis 34 brakes

ganers

Hi all.

Ive done some digging on this on this site and can only find general references to this so I thought I would ask the question out right.

I've got the Synth 34 and my motor is a high hang point machine ( which I havent flown as I am still learning ). I have been ground handling the wing using a riggers harness which does put the attachment points lower than my motor but higher than a low hang point, roughly around nipple height but close to my chest.

The brakes are set for high hang points being that they go through both sets of pulleys, what I have noticed is that if its windy I need to take a wrap or two of the brake lines to get control of the wing on the ground to build a wall and make it behave. When the wing is up and over head I can release the wraps and handle it OK, but the brakes are just below my chest height to get them to bite.

When I have turned and am practicing a launch, i.e. running forward I still have control, however its stopping the wing where the problem crops up, when I pull full brakes to slow the wing so I can turn back to face it it feels like I need my arms to be a good bit longer to get the brakes to bite positively so I end up taking or my accurately trying to take wrap so it doesnt over fly and come down in front of me.

Whats got me is I have heard many pilots saying they take a wrap for landings to get a full flare and I am wondering if this is what I will need to do or is it the harness I use for ground handling as my motor harness would put the risers further away from me.

Cheers Lee.

Hi Lee, there seems to be a few issues here so I will add a few suggestions to whatever other people come back with:

1. Make your ground handling harness more like your motor harness dimensions by adding an extra karabiner or webbing loop each side to lengthen it.

2. Measure your brake lines to ensure they are the correct length for high hangpoints. With everything set up correctly it shouldn't be necessary to take a wrap.

3. Try setting the trimmers slightly above '0' for stronger winds - adding some reflex can help stabilise the canopy overhead and prevent overshooting.

4. Try using the 'A's & C's' method in stronger wind as it gives better control and the C risers are better than brakes for 'killing' the wing if it gets out of control.

5. Holding a small wall with light pressure on the A risers should keep the wing aerodynamically pinned on the ground - too much brake will allow air to flow underneath and flap it around.

6. Practice in lighter winds and maybe get someone to watch or video your efforts. Make any inputs smooth and controlled (I used to get told off for "stabbng" at the brakes when I was learning).

7. Try bending your knees and twisting your hips / shoulders to control the wing instead of large brake inputs.

Finally, keep practicing and it will all come together eventually. Although the Synth has quite long brake travel it should behave in a fairly easy way in most flyable wind strengths.

Hi mate,

I hadn’t thought of adding a Karabiner to lengthen it. I haven’t actually measured the brake lines length but I have checked and made sure that both brake handles are set at the lower dot on the lines which denotes the high hang point setting. I don't have much problem with over shooting to be honest, but I think that’s more a trait of the wing itself than anything else.

The main area I notice this is then your partly raising the wing to straighten it out and get your wall right prior to launch. Or when braking the wing to a stop when you slowing a run down. I am used to using the C and D riser to control and kill the wing but I haven’t come across using the A and C risers for launch? I’ll have a look into that one.

I reckon you right on with your first suggestion and I’ll be giving that one a go.

Cheers Lee.

Iv got a dudek synth 34. iv been flying Paragliders for years and have flown my motor on my free flying wing without a problem. When I come into land on the dudek trimers on min I can't seem to sloe it down sufficiently with the brakes and end up on my ass every time. Is it the wing or is there a technique to landing it in nil wind?

Bleed the speed off at 2 feet AGL then pull for a good flare. In nil wind you'll probably still take a few steps to come to a standstill.

I still sometimes forget to bleed the speed off and end up in a heap :oops:

The worst recently was landing in nil wind, as shown on the wind streamer, cut the engine at probably 25 feet, by the time I was touching down the wind had picked up to a tailwind.

Bu**er this is fast :shock: , ended up doing a long skid on the grass and finishing on my knees :lol:

Cheers,

Alan

Iv got a dudek synth 34. iv been flying Paragliders for years and have flown my motor on my free flying wing without a problem. When I come into land on the dudek trimers on min I can't seem to sloe it down sufficiently with the brakes and end up on my ass every time. Is it the wing or is there a technique to landing it in nil wind?

Did you buy your wing new? They come as standard set up for high hang points so if you are flying a more common low or mid point machine and haven't changed the brake lines then you will run out of travel.