Somewhere to fly to

nigel_d.

Myself and a few others are lucky enough to have permission to fly from a strip next to Pitsford Reservoir in Northamptonshire. The land owner keeps the grass cut for the use of anything capable of landing on it, he doesnt fly himself but only asks that in return you sign the visitors log kept in a bin by the windsock and chuck in a small donation to the air ambulance.

Dont know how he gets round the 28 day rule but its worked for long enough for the strip to appear on airmaps. Anyone who would like to drop in as part of a xc should do so. What I would like is to find somewhere similar to fly to where I could land, spend a little time and then fly back.

I'm finding that xc,s would be so much more of an adventure if you could stop off somewhere for a light refreshment and a contemplation of how you got there... and how you hope to get back!

Nige

• 1 year later...

Hiya, yes I remember. Yes Pitsford is open to all that can use it, however ownership of the land has just changed, apparantly he intends to keep the strip open but he said something about the collection box takings, either it's being robbed or some pilots are forgetting to donate. It's an ideal place but not the only one in the area.

Nige

Don't know of anywhere around your way but I think there are places. The Pitsford strip can be seen on google earth, just find Pitsford reservoir and the strip runs left to right a couple of hundred yards south. If you zoom in you will see the windsock at its easterly end. Not easy to direct there by road so you would need to tag along when we fly there next.

Nige

Hi Nige,

I think I can see it, is it by a horse shoe shape building what looks about 400 yards from the resivoir? I still have your number so I will txt you shortly and when you fly next, if we can tag along that would be great.... FYI I don't work on Thursday, Friday & Saturedays :-)

Regards

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nigel! It was quite nice to have had you visit to Ditchford, last Monday. I am sorry we didn't have a lot of time to give you there as we were almost ready to take off. We went to Grafham Waters, in the little village of Perry. What a great flight it was. Hope to meet you two again. Take care! Cesar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ha ha won't be long before he has gone back ,you guys put on quiet a show at the weekend flyin especially the two who thought they were boats :D just waiting to get my memory card back from Bobby so I can see the footage he got with my helmetcam. Dom. Ps I was asked to pay for Ben Ashmans landing fee as I told him about the meet :shock:

Such a shame about that landing fee, I can certainly appreciate joining and paying to be a local club member if it enables you to use what maybe the only local field but distant occasional visitors should be welcomed for free - even offered a beer for gracing with their presence!

Nige

Such a shame about that landing fee, I can certainly appreciate joining and paying to be a local club member if it enables you to use what maybe the only local field but distant occasional visitors should be welcomed for free - even offered a beer for gracing with their presence!

Nige

Agree, but the Lake Dragon always has his hand out and will never change,he even said that the paramotors put on a great show and entertained everybody :)