Poor pre-flight

alan_k

What a numpty (me).

Time to fess up, even though it is highly embarrassing. I hope someone else can learn from this.

I have discovered I have a missing bolt, (not) holding the re-drive assembly :shock: . The embarrassing thing is that I missed this on not one pre-flight, but one post-fight and TWO pre-flights. ‘kin hopeless! :oops:

This was the cause of the excess vibration of the exhaust system as it is flexibly supported on the back of the re-drive assembly. Luckily I have a spare bolt and now everything is back to normal.

3 flights ago I heard a little ‘dink’ about two-thirds through the flight, assessed that everything was performing normally so carried on. Once down I did a post-flight inspection and found a little mark on the back of one propeller blade. I gave the motor what I thought was a really good look over but found nothing. I couldn’t come up with a cause for the mark, that is where I think I let myself down. I have flown twice since then :? .

What I think fooled me was that whereas I would usually check that the bolt/nut was not loose as part of the pre-flight, because it wasn’t there I didn’t ‘see’ it, if you get my meaning.

I’m completely disgusted with myself.

Alan

Well if it's time for confessions Alan..... I didn't spot the broken and missing exhaust bolt head on my unit for a couple of flights either. That left a mark on the prop too. Couldn't miss the next one though. It buried itself in the prop and stayed there causing it to vibrate like a jack hammer.

Dave

• 1 month later...

As a PG newbie perhaps I shouldn't be commenting but I do have a lot of other experience, that combined with being terminally gobby mean here is my two penneth worth. :oops:

Firstly a big well done to Farmer Dave. It is far better [in any situation] to learn from other peoples mistakes than learning them first hand. Even before I have had my fist flight your honest experience sharing has taught me the value of a good pre flight inspection, so thanks Farmer Dave.

Secondly, in Pilot magazine there is always a feature called 'I learnt about flying from that' where pilots expose their mistakes/experiences for the benefit of other [much like farmer dave has done] Would it be a good feature to include in the forums so as well a sharing the myriad of good experiences there is also the chance to share those oops moments without fear of embarrasment? :oops:

Secondly, in Pilot magazine there is always a feature called 'I learnt about flying from that' where pilots expose their mistakes/experiences for the benefit of other [much like farmer dave has done] Would it be a good feature to include in the forums so as well a sharing the myriad of good experiences there is also the chance to share those oops moments without fear of embarrasment? :oops:

Bloody hell, I'd be typing for the rest of the day. Almost, every time I go out flying there's something that happens which makes me say 'Oops, better watch out for that next time!'

Seriously though, putting egos to one side, it would be nice to have a section dedicated to this idea, so members could report their mistakes and close shaves without fear of being judged. Could also lead to some interesting discussion.

Simon?

DRUMMER

I think most pilots, here, will put their egos or embarrasment aside and bring forward tales of their mistakes in order to help others to avoid them. The "Safety matters" thread is probably the place to look. You could also search and read all my posts but if you did, you might deduce that I am, indeed, completely bonkers

:roll:

DRUMMER

I think most pilots, here, will put their egos or embarrasment aside and bring forward tales of their mistakes in order to help others to avoid them. The "Safety matters" thread is probably the place to look. You could also search and read all my posts but if you did, you might deduce that I am, indeed, completely bonkers

I agree, you are completely bonkers :roll::lol:

DRUMMER

Dave; don't need to read all your post's to diagnose your mental status, "Bonkers" worked that out 30 seconds after meeting you. X

The 'safety matters' section is the perfect place for individuals to reflect and share upon experiences good and bad. Also to ask questions. There is never a stupid question in aviation.

Personaly I have a fairly comprehensive flight log which includes those bad experiences like take off with brake line twisted arround risers, or forgeting to connect speed bar mailons ect. An occasional read through whilst on toilet during periods of poor weather helps remind me to avoid school boy errors.

Regards.

Already posted this but thought i would ad it on here also

Ok ok so i got my balls caught in my lines :shock: Yes after i took off it was pulling to the right, so got into my chair and got some altitude. Then had a good look about and noticed one of my balls (alc) was caught up in my speed bar line and was pulling me over to the right. No drama just untangled it and all was good. Only the second time i have used my speed bar, and i did not correctly check them out on pre flight. Lesson learnt :roll:

Always check your balls before flying (ALC SYNTHESIS)

Thanks Clive