Engine out Faff about!

simon101

I landed into wind with it coming in shore about 20 degrees off. Would of liked to of been closer to the sea wall but got out of shape faffing with straps :oops:

I think the oil mixture was ok. I think i'm running the next plug up and its banging a bit too hard. Maybe the spark is a touch too powerful for it? Been using the BR10ES?

5733640939acc_filesize.jpg.828bcd565c952

piston.jpg.c4955588a5532cd2e90971085d0cb

Simon

Hole in the piston can't be done by a 'hot plug', it is nearly always a too lean mixture caused by incorrect carb settings or a blown gasket/seal allowing too much air into the chamber.

Hope it is not too expensive to sort out and you are back for the fly-in.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie. I will bare that in mind when putting it all back together. It will be expensive unless I can find anyone else that does pistons apart from Andy at skydragons as he wants 150 quid for one! I used to blow up 125 motorcycles and don't ever remember the pistons being that much? Are parts on a parajet or other makes that much? I love my pap but if parts are going to be ridiculous money then I might just change it.

Thanks Eddie. I will bare that in mind when putting it all back together. It will be expensive unless I can find anyone else that does pistons apart from Andy at skydragons as he wants 150 quid for one! I used to blow up 125 motorcycles and don't ever remember the pistons being that much? Are parts on a parajet or other makes that much? I love my pap but if parts are going to be ridiculous money then I might just change it.

Is there a number on the piston? if so look around for one like it , if not find a decent bike or garden machinery shop and see if they can get one.

Hi Pete. Thanks for the info. Uploaded a clearer pic of the top and it has ROS, X7, A and an arrow-> all engraved on the top. Investigation time! Probably waste a week and then call Andy :lol:

I seem to recall reading somewhere about the letter stamp on the top. I think Pap do a piston with an A or B on them, but cant remember or find it again to see what they are for????

piston1.jpg.58690bf1af6e1170cc695eb64cc7

Hi Pete. Thanks for the info. Uploaded a clearer pic of the top and it has ROS, X7, A and an arrow-> all engraved on the top. Investigation time! Probably waste a week and then call Andy :lol:

I seem to recall reading somewhere about the letter stamp on the top. I think Pap do a piston with an A or B on them, but cant remember or find it again to see what they are for????

Si look up a place in peckham called ferrari pistons, they claim to be able to supply any piston for any motor, you mite be able to match one up and save yourself some money.

ok so just ten minutes into my investigation and I find I was right. I never paid anywhere near £150 for a single piston before. Why the hell is a Ros125 piston 150 quid???? its totally fucking ridiculous and daylight robbery. while im on one about the cost of things can anyone justify to me why paramotors cost so much money for what we actually get? A stripped down engine, a steel cage, harness and a piece of plastic to put petrol in does not in my mind constitute 4 and a half grand. The cost of a totally new on the road Honda cbr 125cc motorcycle=£2500???? Madness!!! But we all pay it because we LOVE IT and cant get enough. back to the piston hunt.....

Si when i changed my piston for my top80 from Pap it had B on it, i was told i had to put the same back in to match cylinder :?

Get whatever you can and i got a tool to etch an "A" on it :shock:

Dave is the Ferrari place in Peckham run by Derek Trotter, i heard the bottled water is alright from there but dont know about there pistons :D

check your timing as this will hole the piston for sure. if you dont want to pay 150, then go to a sheet metal shop and get a bit of alli welded on the underside of the piston,(piston needs to be in the barrel in case it warps slightl) then build it up on the top with weld, then file it down . my mate did this on a pap top 80 and its still going ok after 200 hrs on it..

Si when i changed my piston for my top80 from Pap it had B on it, i was told i had to put the same back in to match cylinder :?

Get whatever you can and i got a tool to etch an "A" on it :shock:

Dave is the Ferrari place in Peckham run by Derek Trotter, i heard the bottled water is alright from there but dont know about there pistons :D

Ill have you know his pistons are Kosher, I have seen one and it was luvley jubley :D:D

I'm sure its all been tried before but does anyone know of a different top end that might fit the ros motor? Might save me some time trying to mix n match a head from another engine? My thinking is that if i can find maybe a 125cc scooter or motorbike head that will fit, it will bring the cost of parts right down and have them readily available off the shelf.

• 3 weeks later...

:lol::lol::lol: .....come and get your ros pistons! or any other ros125 engine part. :D8)

I hate monopolies. I love perfect competition.

In economics, a monopoly (from Greek monos / μονος (alone or single) + polein / πωλειν (to sell)) exists when a specific individual or an enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product or service to determine significantly the terms on which other individuals shall have access to it. (This is in contrast to a monopsony which relates to a single entity's control over a market to purchase a good or service, and contrasted with oligopoly where a few entities exert considerable influence over an industry)[1] Monopolies are thus characterised by a lack of economic competition to produce the good or service and a lack of viable substitute goods.[2] The verb "monopolise" refers to the process by which a firm gains persistently greater market share than what is expected under perfect competition.