3rd party liability Insurance

Do you all fly with 3rd party liability insurance?

The reason I'm asking is that the Guardia Civil (Spanish police) have suddenly decided that third party cover is a legal necessity and they have decided to make it sort of a priority.

Of course I think it makes sense to have this cover, but I have to admit that I have been flying without it because I'm not sure how to get it over here (head in sand :oops: ).

I'm struggling to join the Spanish federation of paragliding/paramotoring (or whatever it's called), who provide cover with the membership, because I did a course with a British school.

The other thing, is that I was under the impression that deregulated meant deregulated, including the legal necessity to have insurance. I want to have insurance but I also want to know if having it is enforcable by law. I'm finding it extremely difficult to obtain this information. Whenever I ask any PPG'rs about the legalities the only reply I get is that Insurance is very important and I mustn't fly without it :evil:

Any input on this welcome.

Cheers

Dan

When we went to spain if we had not had insurance we would not have been able to fly. The police were very adamant about it and we had to visit the local cop shop to sort it out as the cops on the beat were not sure what was what.

It is for your peace of mind even if you don't need it, you never know what might happen and if the other party sues you would you want to give them your house in settlement??

Hi Alan

I've got my standard FFPLUM assurance, but do I need separate insurance for the wing and motor to comply with the law in France? I seem to remember you mentioning something about registration or insurance in a post many months ago.

Thanks,

Christian

Miniplane Top80, Ozone Roadster

It is for your peace of mind even if you don't need it, you never know what might happen and if the other party sues you would you want to give them your house in settlement??

Pete, I already said I want insurance, for the the reason you state.

I think you missed my point.

I used to be a copper and my job was to enforce the law, not to make up laws as and when I saw fit.

This is what I am trying to establish whether or not the Guardia Civil are doing just that, or whether Spain has created some bespoke add on law applicable to the deregulated sport of Paramotoring, stating that you must have insurance and are committing an offence by not having insurance.

I state again. This is a point of interest only for me. I like to know the letter of the law.

Hi Dan,

Not sure wether this would help but my insurance from FFPLUM covers Europe.

Maybe you could join FFPLUM?

This years membership plus PPG insurance cost €118.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Alan, I'm still working on joining the Spanish version which is similar at €140, but will look into FFPLUM (what's it stand for?). Similar to the noise my paramotor made as it stopped....ffplum..... :D

Thanks Alan, I'm still working on joining the Spanish version which is similar at €140, but will look into FFPLUM (what's it stand for?). Similar to the noise my paramotor made as it stopped....ffplum..... :D

FFPLUM stands for Federation Francaise D'ULM. www.ffplum.com

Don't quite know where the P comes from?

I think of it as French Federation of Pilots Legere Ultralight Motorised.

ULM = Ultralight Legere Motorise = microlight.

Cheers,

Alan

Poz

Might be best to look up an insurance broker and get the 3rd party insurance.

If you can't find a broker that can get you the cover you need then ask the Spanish pilots who their club/federation uses to provide cover and go directly to them.

You could get cover from a company in the UK if it covers flying in Spain.

All the best

Tony