Horticultural advice

poz

Does anyone know if there is a product out there that is designed to slow down the growth of all things that grow in an unkept field.

I seem to be fighting a losing battle. It's a hell of an area to single handedly strim once a week, Weed killer isn't the answer as you can see from the photo it just killed everything in the area that I tried it on. (brown snake :oops: )

It's hard to tell from this photo which is over a month old, but I have cut out a square about 50mx50m all around this now has grown to around 3 feet high. Not just grass but tough fibrous weeds that put up a good fight against the strimmer.

Any help/advice would be appreciated as I haven't got a clue with anything green.

Thanks

Dan

57336408dff48_Videophoto(8).jpg.2e19ebd9

I know a guy who put a load of natural matting down in an air strip styleee......

Maybe this on a lager scale would work...

It's used to put around the bottom of new trees but can be found in rolls.

I am sure Jamie is the man who will know what its called...

SW :D

I was kind of hoping that someone would know of some sort of growth retardant spray that I could buy.....but sheep, a tractor and carpet..... is a start :D

It's not my land and I cannot find the owner, but noone seems to mind me using it, but technically I shouldn't be, so bringing a bunch of sheep along (if I could find some), or a tractor (if I could afford one) or putting down matting, is pushing it a bit.

However, I thought if I could slow the growth I would be doing the land owner a favour by reducing the fire hazard in summer. I really am very thoughtful :wink:

Hi Dan,

If the weeds are anything like French ones nothing stops them permanently.

I put strong weedkiller on my drive 3 times over a period of 6 months and they still grew :evil:

Now it's grassed over it just gets cut as necessary. Sorry not what you want to hear :(

Alan

Technically speaking then- applying weed killer or any sort of growth retardant would not be advisable or legal if its not your land....

Also, without landowners permission flying there could be an issue also....

GD

Why are you telling me something that obviously I already know. Remember this is Spain and attitudes are quite different and less anal about the use of land that technically belongs to someone, but hasn't ever been used for anything, not even grazing. There are no barriers or signs saying keep out. In fact sometimes the police turn up to watch me fly. I keep the land free from litter, in fact the only f**k up was applying the weed killer, the effects of which are already fading. So if the owner does turn up and kick off about me maintaining his land and running a few paces on it, ...then so be it. But he hasn't so far :D and my concience is clear.

Hi Dan,

If the weeds are anything like French ones nothing stops them permanently.

I put strong weedkiller on my drive 3 times over a period of 6 months and they still grew :evil:

Now it's grassed over it just gets cut as necessary. Sorry not what you want to hear :(

Alan

Hi Alan.

I think that you're right about nothing stopping the triffids. I could swear that on landing I can see open mouths waiting to gobble me up if I miss my square :D

Ho hum, never mind. I'm just grateful that I have somewhere close to home to fly from, that doesn't fill my wing with sand.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan

In his post Pete_b said buy a topper off Ebay, there is no need to do that all you need is an old rear axle from a car or van.

Turn the diff downwards to face the ground and fix a blade about 3 feet long made from a good thick piece of steel, then where the springs would normally fit on to the axle either weld or bolt a couple of lengths of angle iron, bring them together and fit a tow hitch and bingo one cheap as chips topper that you can tow behind a car or 4x4, a guy I used to fly gliders with years ago used one of these for about 15 years and it never let him down, you could leave it in the field and chain it to a tree or something to stop it being pinched.

You could go mad and fit some safety guards if you wanted to, LOL

Hope that helps you

Dave

Hi Dan

In his post Pete_b said buy a topper off Ebay, there is no need to do that all you need is an old rear axle from a car or van.

Turn the diff downwards to face the ground and fix a blade about 3 feet long made from a good thick piece of steel, then where the springs would normally fit on to the axle either weld or bolt a couple of lengths of angle iron, bring them together and fit a tow hitch and bingo one cheap as chips topper that you can tow behind a car or 4x4, a guy I used to fly gliders with years ago used one of these for about 15 years and it never let him down, you could leave it in the field and chain it to a tree or something to stop it being pinched.

You could go mad and fit some safety guards if you wanted to, LOL

Hope that helps you

Dave

Thanks for that Dave.

To be honest I'd never heard of a topper, but have since been checking them out on the web. It looks perfect for what I need.

Not sure I'm up to making my own, but if I can get a cheap used one that I can tow behind my old Honda 4x4 that would be great.

Cheers

Dan

Technically speaking then- applying weed killer or any sort of growth retardant would not be advisable or legal if its not your land....

Also, without landowners permission flying there could be an issue also....

GD

Can you believe that after a year of using this field uninterupted, yesterday (after posting this thread), the owner turned up....at the same time as the police, amazingly unconnected. The police came first and the owner just happened to be passing and saw all the vehicles on his land.

Turned out to be a case of killing two birds with one stone.

The police weren't there to watch the flying, they were there to check that all was in order and that we were operating within the law etc etc. Fortunately all was in order apart from the bit about the permission to use the land. However, once the owner had spoken to us and satisfied himself that we were responsible, he was more than pleased to give permission as we were keeping his land clean and could call him if we spotted any problems.

He gave the Spanish old bill the nod, they were happy, I got all the names and phone numbers for future reference and 5 vehicles left the land, two by road and 3 by air. :D

Dan

Perhaps the Spanish Police are monitoring this forum!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Nah, that would take some forward thinking and intelligence. They're too busy working out the best way to extract the most money from the motorist. They may be a little late to the party, but now they're here they're determined to catch up. They've even brought down the national speed limit due to the Libyan situation :(

so did you get permission to cut the offending weeds down?

They said that they were cool about me being there, it's obvious to see that I have cut out a big square and no mention was made about it, so there doesn't seem to be any problems.

There's an old derelict house in the middle of the land that currently has squatters residing there that they are concerned about and I think they initially thought we them.

On the look out for a cheap topper now. Still not sure if it digs up the surface or just cuts the greenary :?:

I'm afraid I'm a bit ignorant about horticulture. I never had any land to look after before.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan

What a top result, I wish it was like that in the UK, enjoy your new found permission.

Regarding the topper, if you buy one it may need to be towed by a tractor as the proper ones use the power take off from the traitor, but if you make your own the wheels on the axle will turn the blade.

Good luck

Dave

What you need is a secondhand version of this -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/bargain-gx270-honda-9-0-quad-flail-mower-petrol-/300540452868?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item45f99b6004

As previously mentioned toppers are usually powered by the PTO (power take off) shaft on the back of a tractor but something like this has it's own power so it can be pulled by a quad or car.

Or you could buy a cheap PTO powered topper and bolt/weld a small petrol/diesel engine onto the driveshaft which would normally connect to the tractor.

Sounds like a good problem to have though!

Best regards,

Ian.