Arm position for forward launch

Plenty of flying and practising this week in very light/nil wind i found forward launches much easier with arms lower down 4&8oclock.

I found i had feel of the wing earlier and the wing inflated without ears folding in than my arms at 3&9 which i used to do.

Where do you prefer your arms?(when paramotoring)

Edited by Guest

Start with arms at 3 and 9 o'clock positions and 'follow' the risers as the wing comes up- don't lift the wing or push forward on the risers. The wing, and risers will come up, as it gets to the 11 o'clock position you can take your hands away, but just apply light forward pressure until then as you run.

Plenty of flying and practising this week in very light/nil wind i found forward launches much easier with arms lower down 4&7oclock.

I found i had feel of the wing earlier and the wing inflated without ears folding in than my arms at 3&9 which i used to do.

Where do you prefer your arms?(when paramotoring)

I expect like most people reading your post I found myself standing in the middle of the room in my take off position using muscle memory to assess what position I use.

For me it is the 3 to 9 with no slack in the lines before launch and a blip on throttle to pop the wing up making sure the lines do not squash the cage onto the prop.

Be interesting to hear peoples techniques. A bit like the golf swing. There is a standard technique but variations that work for different people.

Regards.

I think it depends on a few factors such as type of wing, hang points, height etc. Being tall with a low hang point harness means I have to bend my arms at the elbows quite a bit, so lower than the '3 & 9' position otherwise I'd be holding bare lines way past the maillons.

The Revo 2 seemed to prefer a small step back first, but always came straight over head with no pressure on the risers. With the Nucleon I prefer not to have any slack in the lines but use 1/4 throttle, and it needs constant pressure on the risers to guide it fully over head. The manual says to launch in the full slow position but I prefer a bit more speed on the trimmers - even if it means a couple more steps before take off.

I'd like to experiment a bit more to see if other positions are better but the motor is too damn heavy to risk faffing around with failed launch attempts so it is easier to just go with what works.

With my hands at 3&9 i cant feel what the wing is doing till wing is up and it may be too late and the ears seem to stay folded in, the lower for me the better, i can feel what the wing is doing earlier on a bit like a pg launch, im only 5.5 and low hang points.

My revo 1 always seems to have ears folded a little on a forward at the best of times, is the revo 2 the same?

A slightly different approach, due to a dislocating shoulder and having no strength with my arms behind me.

I hold the A`s up in the flying position, Find the centre. Apply 1/4 power, walk forward holding my arms in position. As the wing comes up It slows me down until the its above me. When I start moving again apply full power and away we go.

99% success rate, and no effort required :D

Terms and conditions apply.

Colin B