Gutted

After a long spell from flying almost 2 years, the weather and everything was perfect this weekend, done some ground handling no problem, reverse/forward perfect, warmed up motor all looking good.

Then after strapping myself in and standing i just sank with this awful feeling i cant do this its uncomfatable my hip hurts (old age 49) and just bottled it. leaving me so gutted and depressed what to do now.

Have a great buch of guy's around me full of support and i thank them but F~#k what now.............

What the F*%k now?

You get back on the horse thats what.

we all have doubts about our abilities at times, but dont let it get the better of you.

I can promise you once you are off the ground and soaring around the sky you will be thinking to yourself "what the hell was wrong with me"

seriously, the only thing stopping you is self doubt and the only way to beat that is face it head on and kick its arse.

Dave

Hi - as pilots we all (to some degree or another) have conflicts to deal with - e.g. 'I want to fly.............but I don't want to crash'.

This became much more apparent to me after a serious paragliding accident I had. I still have that massive need to fly but balance it by flying with bigger safety margins (weather conditions etc). Sometimes, even on perfect days it is easy to find a reason not to fly (uncomfortable on the ground etc) - but when you do and you get time in the air it feels great!!

How about taking up some training with an experienced instructor to regain your confidence (plus the fact you are paying for it will give you more incentive to get off the ground)?

As for being uncomfortable, if it REALLY is a problem, you can always buy a lightweight machine, or even a trike....

If you don't continue doing this you will get old quickly and look back and realise how lucky you were when you were doing it and wish you had never stopped doing it so early...

neilzy, don't give up :!:

I lost some of my confidence over the 2009 winter with a 4 week lay off, the following 2 flights took 3 attempts each to get airborne.

I know it's nothing like 2 years, but you've done the GH, reverse/forward, just have confidence.

Think I AM GOING TO TAKE OFF. Practice makes perfect as they say :)

Cheers,

Alan

If I can crash and burn, not fly for 2 years and then get back in the air then so can you.

Now stop moaning, making excuses and sort your self out you wimp. :wink::D

If you want some help let me know and we will meet up some where and get you in the air.

Hey Neil.... The feeling will probably pass....I'm almost physically sick with nerves occasionally.

If it doesn't pass, and you want to sell your machine, give us a buzz. I had 3 after mine and 2 didn't get it

Dave

stop trying to buy his machine you old dog he needs to fly it. :D

What mixture is your fuel? i noticed you had a bit in there over the weekend any chance i can have it then :D

Your chairman at the "Essex flyin" you cant give up, we could always do a "Essex walkin" for you the day after

See you at the field tomorrow evening!

Hi Neil

You mention that you felt uncomfortable and that your hip hurt.

As a sports therapist and personal trainer for the best part of 3 decades let me offer some expert health and fitness advice:

GET BACK ON YOUR F**CKIN' HORSE YOU WIMP!!

Only kidding. Let me explain what's probably happening here.

Whatever sport you participate in, over a period of time the body will respond and create greater support to the joints that are involved in that particular activity and placed under greater stress.

We as paramotorists are no different really. We run around with 30+kg's on our backs which puts additional stress on all of our weight bearing joints (ankles, knees, hips and spine). However, over a period of time our bodies adjust and create additional support in the form of muscle in those particular areas because there exists a necessity to do so.

The body doesn't want to increase its muscularity because muscles consume a lot of energy and the body likes to preserve energy wherever it can (think stoneage man - no Tescos), so consequently, when you remove the necessity for that additional muscle, the body will make it redundant pretty damn quick (ask anyone that has broken a limb and been in plaster for a few weeks).

So, you strap yourself into a paramotor after 2 years of flightless hell. Damn right it's going to feel uncomfortable and the most discomfort will go to your weakest point, and with you I'm guessing it's one of your hips.

Solution (best guess in the abscence of a sit down consultation with you):

I've no idea about the extent of your hip complaint, however it's unwise to try to paramotor after 2 years off without first building up some strength in your weight bearing joints.

May i suggest some incline walking, then some walking with a back pack (up to 10 kg's), then just spend some time with your motor on your back at home and some forward launch practice.

The muscle will return quicker than you think.

As I said I don't know the extent of your hip condition. If the joint is truly knackered, then you need to be looking at trikes and a good hip surgeon :D

I would hope that at the young age of 49 you are not in that position.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dan

Cheers guy's have to say some brilliant motivational words said and NO not gonna sell just yet and have today booked with my wife's personal trainer (thanksPoz) and will not give up just yet and will try my best not to be a whimp!!!!!!

Neilzy

Please do not give up yet. There has been some good advice posted on here already. Don't expect to pick up exactly where you left off but perhaps a little further back.

A day with an instructor is an excellent idea and surround yourself with supportive flyer friends.

When you do make your next flight select a day with a good clean breeze. This will help with getting your wing up and ensure that the wing makes the short run with a flat top a short light run.

Do this with an instructor so you do not feel overwhelmed by all the decisions that you would have to make if you where on your own.

All the very best

Tony

Neilzy, I am also 49.

2 years ago after an MRI scan on my back I was told to give up running and any heavy lifting due to my lower back joints aging prematurely. Also 7 years ago I had a paragliding crash as a result of a turbulence-induced collapse at 40 feet. Despite these things I have to fly - providing the weather is in my comfort zone, but like most on here I am not an adrenalin junkie, infact I wont even go on fairground rides.

What caused your 2 year lay-off?

Nige

Hi this is Neils wife here!

I have walked into that bloody thing in my hall way bruised my arms on that bloody proppeller, the kids nearly pulled it over,i have to sacrafice holidays at the expense of an paramotor ornamant, i have consoled him after a long hard day of ground handling but NOT flying, and now on top of it all he tells me he is giving up!!!

Well not on your life sunshine, somebody better get this guy flying or there may be bloodshed!

PLEASE HELP A LONG SUFFERING WIFE!

See you at the FLYIN/WALKIN!!

XXXXX

• 3 weeks later...

Ok went for a Fly at the field this mornin up at 5.30 the field looks fantastic at that time in the morning i so want to be flying by the time our Flyin on the 10th June guy's & gals do we have any women flyers on here???? well if ya miss it you will be disappointed its a great site with some super views around a farmer who is getting temptet more by the minute to try Paramotoring it just dont get any better so hoping to see you all there.

Anyway set everything up with the intention of well as sort of suck and see really, strapped in, motor running appaerently Matty tells me it was a faultless forward launch wing position etc eased the throttle on run like mad everything went light feet lift this feels good i remember telling myself, well should have been saying more throttle and result was i came skidding back down, its handy with the flat top it sort of lends itself to skiing cut the motor and well it felt good. Inspected the two 20ft skid marks looked cool and had a rest and tried again little more confidence this time but failed, had to pack up then but now have this gut wrenching feeling of so close and want to tr again which is good so looking forward to next time.

Thanks for all ya support on here it really does help and well next issue i may be telling you of all the sights from the air as the confidence is slowly making a return.

Neilzy

Hi Neil

I skidded mine for about 30 feet when I got the wind direction wrong once.

Tell me...did you apply brakes to take off ? 20 feet skid would imply that you were moving fast. I can slow my takeoff speed alot with about 75 % brake input whilst at full power. Please dont assume you can go 75 % brakes aswell. You need to practice this with an instructor so that you can check the brake line lengths are right and find out where the stall point is at a safe height. But when you can land and take off at slower speeds your confidence will climb.

Dave

Hi Dave no brakes just running fast and on about 1/4 power and a didn't come off power till i stopped sliding, very wet grass to I just needed to feed in more power but just didn't suprisingly it all felt rather smooth. Still next time hopefully will get it right.

More brake and more power and off you would've gone by the sound of it Neil. Good luck for the next go...!!!

BTW I see you have a Synth. Do you set trims to full slow ? I find my Nucleon very fast to run with if I dont. Especially in nil wind. I'm currently practicing wrapping the brakes around my hands, without squeezing the throttle trigger. Anyone got any clues on that ???? I dont seem to have cracked it yet.

Dave

I have trims set at 0 which was recommended it launchs ok, yeah your right if i had fed the power in and a little brake and yeah it would gone, but I was just thinking hey this feels so smooth and it was all over will know what to expect next time