Lucky man

clivefreeman

Truly terrifying situation - even if it was totally foreseeable and avoidable.

Perhaps he was taught by the world's best, multiple record holding, "totally freaking awesome" pilot ???? :roll:

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

(oh, and I love the way he claims that it floats - when it has clearly disappeared below the surface after a few seconds - or that everyone else is a total moron & guaranteed to die ...... nice, thanks Dell ! )

Or, just don't foot drag the water.

Prevention is better than the cure.

I want to assure everyone that I don't have a flat top and I only know of 2 members out (of over 2000 members) who own them yes the are still alive, but so are the 1998 other people without one.

They are all still alive becasue they don't fly stupidly like that over water.

SW :D

I hope no one would be fooled into thinking there was enough bouancy in any paramotor to reduce any chance of drowning. I did see a video somewhere that kinda demonstrated that any small amount they do have, would likely keep your face IN the water.

Having used the quick release harness myself, I can say, with conviction, that it will allow the pilot to evacuate the harness very quickly, in the case of FIRE for example, compared with the struggle to find 3 seperate buckles, and operate them. (Not that I'm insisting that you take my word for it)

As Simon correctly points out, it is very unwise to fly over water, and people who continually ignore this kind of good advice, might suffer the consequences, sooner or later ! That doesn't just apply to flying over water of course !!

Dave :)

Dave - the quick release harness does sound like a good innovation - mine is a real struggle to release and there is absolutely no chance I could do it in water. I don't think even a hook knife would help. The only drawback is the false sense of security this might give to some people - backed up by all our Utah friend's videos telling people it is OK to do this stuff providing you "have the right equipment".

The video from Malaysia shows great stupidity, but even worse put a lot of innocent people in grave danger.

In the right conditions, with suitable precautions, and world class 'professionals' at the top of their game however it can look like fantastic fun:

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

That last one is frightening.

I once landed at the water's edge in a bay after sinking out of ridge lift.

The water appeared calm, surf was puny 5 or 10cm breakers.

As I landed I ran out of run out room and the wing overshot and half of it nosed into the water.

I thought little of it except "damn, gonna hafta rinse".

By the time I got out of the harness and started reeling lines in I realized I had caught a big one that was trying to pull me in.

Sand flats ran out for half a mile under the gentle surf that was rolling in and out but it taught me gently just what happens on the beach when it goes bad.

It's a hard lesson to pass on when folks equate surf with splashy fun.

Please heed these warnings and consider a motor failure over water to be the same as jumping in tied to cinder blocks or concrete shoes.

Dave - the quick release harness does sound like a good innovation - mine is a real struggle to release and there is absolutely no chance I could do it in water. I don't think even a hook knife would help. The only drawback is the false sense of security this might give to some people - backed up by all our Utah friend's videos telling people it is OK to do this stuff providing you "have the right equipment".

I wouldn't change my flying because of the one pull release Alan. Sure, it's nice to be able to get out quick, and I dont think it costs any more to have. It's a bit of a novelty too, if I'm honest. And seems really easy to use (getting in or out) I thought Dell's message was very clear that you just should not fly over water (even though he does) I've heard him say that more than once, followed by the realisation that some people just wont be able to resist it, so he fits the one pull buckle, because the lions share of fatalities are drowners. Dont you think that could also be seen as a commitment to the improvement of safety within the sport ?

If I fall out of the sky from 10 to 40 feet it's going to f**kin well hurt, I'm under no illusion. But I know what I'd rather land on, and it's not my coxix (assuming the angle was lucky, unlike Santacroce) In short, I think one can improve one's odds BUT you cant make yourself invincible. I can see how Dell's overexcited ramblings might try to make it look that way and frankly, how that might be irritating, but just take it with a pinch of salt, and ultimately, make your own mind up is probably best ?

Don't underestimate the amount of effort required to get out of waves on a beach with your PG or PPG kit............

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Richard

I can't believe he did not even shake the guys hands who saved his life.

SW :D

I can see the attraction alright. It's the same thing that any adventure-sportist craves - that extra rush. Tell me you've not been scared witless once in your life, driving, flying, climbing a tree or playing knock down ginger. Like Cannibal says, "we do it for the jazz man, do it for the jazz"

However, compare the nice flat and benign looking conditions of the kite surfing and the conditions in the others, blustery, high sea state or added trike weight. the French man we know is 'pretty good', the others we don't.

Risk, yes please bring it on...as long as it is tempered with plenty, plenty experience and a good old E U standard risk assessment. ;-) And don't rely on there being anyone to help if it goes Pete Tong.

Tj.

Train hard, fly easy.