Membury Airfield, visiting pilots procedure.

UPDATED IN NEXT POST BELOW.

All,

I would like to remind all paramotor pilots that Membury Airfield is not an 'open site' and that there is a simple procedure before flying in to this LIVE AIRFIELD.

There are occasional times when the airfield is closed to PPG and other known times of 'intense GA activity'

It is absolutely VITAL that ALL visiting pilots call me on 07983 428 453 before flying in to check the above information status and times.

You must not take off or land at Membury Airfield unless I am there and you have called first.

While on the subject, If driving in... please STOP at the white LIVE RUNWAY markers and call me on 07983 428 453. This has been responded to very well so thanks to everyone for that! Please lets keep it up.

To make it clear......If I am not there, you do not have permission to enter from the land owner and you could mess things up for everyone.

Not a moan... but a SERIOUS message that both the land owner and I insist is listened to by all.

SW :D

UPDATED IN NEXT POST BELOW.

• 5 years later...

I am pleased to be able to say that I have not had to reiterate this message since it was posted in 2011 :-) 

I am not so please though to now have been forced to change the rules for flying at Membury once again.

This has happened because someone was flying there on there own (not insured for that) but to make it worse the land owner was watching as that person flew in to a mound of mud at the end of one of the runways and sent staff members out to make sure he was moving. 

Another reason is that neither Colin or I were there this afternoon for good reason. Yet I find out a number of people were enjoying an afternoons flying and related activities from the site. 

Other things have happened that almost certainly would not have happened had either Colin or Myself been there which did not please the owner. 

The risk to us of course is not as simple as this little inconvenience to pilots who casually visit. The risk to us is a business! (our full time jobs and lifestyle for the last 10+ years) PLEASE RESPECT THAT. 

The new rules are simple (in order to keep it simple) 

No one is to use the airfield for ground handling, engine running, or flying unless myself or Colin are there. If we are not there, it's for a reason. Anyone is found to break this rule will be given a permanent ban from the site. 

A gate will now be added (at my expense) which will require a key fob to enter. 

This is a Private airfield not a public place. If anyone is unclear how this will effect them, please do call me directly. 07983 428 453

Simon W.

• Upvote 2

As it stands nothing has changed that much to be honest. It's just an unexpected expense at the end of the season as far as we are concerned. 

If people don't call though (simple enough to do I think?) the poo will hit the fan for sure. 

So I guess to simplify it, call first (not any one of the varied messaging services) but above all, even if I have said yes, if we are not there don't fly!. 

SW :D