Scottish Stuart's Training Blog

It was just after Christmas I hear those beautiful words. "Okay, you keep going on about it, why don't you just do it - take some money out the savings"

Fantastic!

I reckon I've read most posts on this forum now and really can't wait to start. I've booked up my EP course with Cloudbusters (with a PPG conversion later)and the weather this weekend coming certainly looks better than the one just past.

I do have some previous flying experience. 8 hours training in an R22 - was getting expensive!

I had a Bronze Gliding licence for a couple of years too, but the flexibility and freedom of PPG really appeals to me.

I live near Perth, Scotland and the opportunity for some amazing scenic flights are almost endless up here, not much airspace to worry about either.

Hopefully my next post will be after the weekend.

Regards,

Stuart :fail:

Day1 and Day 2 complete.

Had a fantastic couple of days on the hill. As I'd done a one day course a few years ago, and had some gliding experience I've been upgraded to CP course. Two days of nil wind but allowed me to get 4 decent flights in each day (well, about a minute each).

My instructor brought his Parajet today to let me feel the weight and thrust. Pretty heavy - but better than walking up the hill!

Hope for some better wind for soaring next weekend.

Hooked!

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Stuart

PS as a newbie to this forum I appreciate I have limitations, but it would be nice to make a post in the "Equipment Wanted" section, as I'll be needing some equipment soon!!

So drop me a line if you know of a decent second hand motor for a 98kg (big boned) chap. Budget about £2k - I'l be running any potential options past my instructor.

• 2 weeks later...

3 Days training in.

My instructor has decided he can take me to CP qualification for the same price as the EP due to my previous experience. ( I flew gliders for a couple of years)

We got a wee bit of soaring in last weekend - if soaring means not going down as fast!

So, I've been busy spending money this week. First up is Parajet Macro (7/10 condition in SimonW's own words :P ). To be fair, it runs nice and condition to be expected. I think she has been looked after :D

Can wait to take her to the sky!

Also, just ordered a Dudek Synthesis. That would appear to have wiped me out. I'll need to save up again just to buy a helmet! :?

Really looking forward to the better weather coming and my training speeding up!

Stuart

:acro:

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good!

I don't have that much experience with two strokes but I would assume that the oil is just some fuel mixture getting through into your exhaust system possibly due to the engine being started up often but stopped before it is gets up to normal operating temperature. Once it is in the exhaust I think it is normal for it to leak out from the lowest spot rather than going into the silencer. Again, I could be wrong!

On mine I get it too - not dripping but visible if you run your hand round the underneath. I also get fuel mixture building up in the cylinder head (I have un upside down vertical cylinder) if I have a few unsuccesfull attempts at starting the engine, but since your cylinder is mounted at 45 degrees it would seem natural for the uncombusted fuel to get blown out into the exhaust. You should perhaps try running it for a bit longer to get it hot and then check whether it is still a problem?

That's just an educated guess though - you are probably best running it by Peter next time we are out (which could be weeks away by the look of it)!

Birthday today but still no flying! Hopefully tomorrow. Got some PPG related presents though.

Got a chance to give the motor a good run this week and am pretty pleased with it, runs and starts really well.

This week I also got the chance to catch up with a couple of experienced Scottish PPG pilots. It was good to chat about local flying sites, experiences an kit choice.

Hopefully the wind will drop soon!

Yeah, pretty gutted about the lack of flying this month. Looks like perfect conditions all this week, but no doubt the wind will be back up by the weekend!

I stopped in at Abington on my way down the motorway to D&G and did some ground handling. Conditions were actually quite light at the bottom field, but were probably pretty strong further up. Was fun though and the wing seems to perform pretty well. Half an hour and I was knackered!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, like Dugald, it was an excellent day's flying on Saturday. Our first proper sustained flights (soaring not engine). Propery fantastic, dodging others and trying to stay up.

My instructor has emailed to tell me my wing has arrived so I'll check that off below.

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

This was obviously when the wind had died down a bit :?

I also filmed Simon (who is learning to paraglide) attempt some reverse launches in windy conditions.

Watch the first bit of this if you want a laugh.

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

So looks a bit windy at the moment and I can only do Sunday this weekend - fingers crossed.

Kit list goes up as cash flow dwindles.

Got

Motor: Parajet Macro

Wing: Dudek Synthesis 34 (heavy motor you see)

Helmet: Fly UL Icaro - on order

Training: working on it. CP plus motor conversion.

Radio: 2M

Alti: Suunto X Lander

Need

Reserve

GoPro

Flying suit

More money :|

Pete, we were all practising reverse launches that day, most had never done it before. The wind was okay at the start of the day so we were sticking to a few steps backwards then step forward for take off for the first run. Poor simon got an unexpected gust for the second one!

Clearly I only put up the funny videos, which generally show someone doing something wrong!

Pete, we were all practising reverse launches that day, most had never done it before. The wind was okay at the start of the day so we were sticking to a few steps backwards then step forward for take off for the first run. Poor simon got an unexpected gust for the second one!

Clearly I only put up the funny videos, which generally show someone doing something wrong!

Point taken :D

But at the beginning of the video the instructor is stood in front of him and Simon is facing forward (as well as the second time he gets pulled back) due to the strength of the wind he should be facing the wing ready so as to control it.

At no time should he be facing forward clipped in unless the wing is above his head under control.

This is how people get dragged and injured.

His technique makes it look worse than it actually was - others were forward and reverse launching that day without any drama. This came after many unsucessful attempts at reverse launches and the instructor was probably keen for him to get some airtime and keep his morale up by getting a launch in during a lull in the wind. Having been there since day one with Simon I know how much patience and effort Peter and Dan have put in to his training, but even after 6 days of one-on-one training he seems to panic sometimes at launch and forget everything he has learned.

He did get up in the end and enjoyed a good 15 minute soaring flight. He goes through this calamitous routine every week and I reckon most people would have given up by this point - you really have to admire his determination and positivity. I reckon he will get there in the end! 8)