Replacement throttle

alan_k

I've always thought the original Fresh Breeze throttle design was a bit 'agricultural'. It has been improved since but as I have an original fitted I thought I would make a replacement.

Here's the original, with a Tiny-Tach added.

OriginalFBthrottle.jpg

I acquired an old bicycle brake lever and rummaged around in the srap box for the rest. I decided to make it as an 'upside down' one and came up with this:

Homemadethrottle.jpg

I haven't fitted it yet as I need a longer throttle cable and sleeving to finish it off. I'll let you know how it is when I've tried it.

Cheers,

Alan

Nice innovation and no offence Alan, but I find any of these lever type throttles to be about as useable as prodding the carburettor with a stick ! :P

If you are looking to replace or upgrade a throttle you should consider the Cameleon finger throttle. - or even if you don't 'need' one - it was the first thing I swapped over before I even started my new Kobra for the first time !

So light & easy to use you forget its there after a few minutes, and every aspect of size, shape, trigger & switch pressure can be customised to preference. Best thing is it completely frees up your hand, so much better for using a camera if your right handed (can you even buy a camera with the shutter button on the left ??).

Not cheap, but worth it for the extra comfort & useability. It enhances every flight so the price isn't bad in the overall cost of the paramotor ... I wouldn't fly without it now.

Review: http://www.aerosupply.se/cameleon-review.pdf

Aquatix, no offence detected. Can't say I've tried prodding the carburettor with a stick, maybe I will :lol:

The chameleon looks like a well good bit of kit.

The point for me is it satisfies my inherent tinkerer gene, and cost nothing to boot :shock:

Cheers,

Alan

I could not get on with my pap throttle so i made this. Have not flown with it yet but im getting full throttle and got plenty of slack when moving my arm about. I had to make a small cut out in the grip and dent the tube where the lever touches the grip. Still like the look of the cameleon throttle but a bit on the

expensive side.

Thanks Clive

IMG_0178.JPG.c17a3325a85b8a6160f353301e6

IMG_0179.JPG.e95a7f5cdca5743d0a6525f727a

Can you use the Cameleon finger throttle.( with thick heated gloves ?? )

Ive also changed the throttle on my Pap its now left handed (so I can twiddle with all the Cameras ,Gps,Blah Blah Blah that I take fly with these days) Ive also changed the cable to a high quality push bike one with a inline cable adjuster..for fine tuning...

The difference is unbelievable...I dont get it that on a £4500+ paramotor they dont use a high quality cable..(inner and outer) :evil:

Alan, I love tinkering too (almost as much as flying) but the Cameleon satisfies that urge because you can fine tune every aspect of the control.

I've met Gerard (the inventor) who is a fellow tinkerer and great bloke. Although it cost £160 (delivered) I don't mind supporting innovation (he claims the research, development and industrial tooling cost €70k) and you only ever buy it once - I've already transferred it from my old motor to my new one. Does anyone still use a bite-valve throttle ? (IMO about as comfortable as holding half a bike handlebar while your flying) :wink:

Gary - yes it comes with bits that you can change in seconds to use with thick winter gloves or without. You can order it right or left handed. Loads of info on the "Downloads" page at http://www.aef-gliders.com/AEF%20-%20air%20lift%20system%20-%20vgb.html. I agree that some of the parts as supplied on a £4000+ paramotor can be rubbish, but Kangook paramotors offer this as an option.

http://www.paratour.com/content/cameleon

Because it attaches to your arm, once in cruise control you can easily slip your finger out to have completely free hands without risk of dropping it.

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

I could not get on with my pap throttle so i made this. Have not flown with it yet but im getting full throttle and got plenty of slack when moving my arm about. I had to make a small cut out in the grip and dent the tube where the lever touches the grip. Still like the look of the cameleon throttle but a bit on the

expensive side.

Thanks Clive

IVE DONE THE SAME AS YOU CLIVE,CUT A CHANNEL IN THE HANDLE.PLUS I TOOK THE TIP OF THE LEVER.I GET FULL THROTTLE NOW USEING THE MIKUNI CARB.SAME KILL SWICTH TO BY THE LOOK OF IT...£10 THROTTLE.THE FINGER THROTTLE LOOKS GREAT WELL WORTH BUYING ONE, DUE TO THE FINGER FREEDOM IT GIVES YOU.ITS ON MY SHOPING LIST WHEN SPARE DOSH COMES ALONG/////

How do you do a powered launch with that?

Surely you would have to come off the throttle to let the 'A' lines go? or not use the index finger? the mind boggles.....

SW :D

Surely you would have to come off the throttle to let the 'A' lines go? or not use the index finger? the mind boggles.....

I assume you're joking Simon, but in what way do you use your index finger for a powered launch and why would you need to come off the throttle to release the 'A' lines ?

Did you Southerners not evolve with opposable thumbs ?? :lol:

Jock did you mod yours for cruise control, would like to adapt mine. Any ideas ?

Thanks for the link Alan, i will have to put the cameleon on my shopping list the tax man is due.

Thanks Clive

expensive side.

Thanks Clive

IVE DONE THE SAME AS YOU CLIVE,CUT A CHANNEL IN THE HANDLE.PLUS I TOOK THE TIP OF THE LEVER.I GET FULL THROTTLE NOW USEING THE MIKUNI CARB.SAME KILL SWICTH TO BY THE LOOK OF IT...£10 THROTTLE.THE FINGER THROTTLE LOOKS GREAT WELL WORTH BUYING ONE, DUE TO THE FINGER FREEDOM IT GIVES YOU.ITS ON MY SHOPING LIST WHEN SPARE DOSH COMES ALONG/////

I assume you're joking Simon, but in what way do you use your index finger for a powered launch and why would you need to come off the throttle to release the 'A' lines ?

I hold my a's with my index finger and thumbs and teach many others to do the same. I could not imagine how it would feel to use different fingers for that :?:

I hold my a's with my index finger and thumbs and teach many others to do the same. I could not imagine how it would feel to use different fingers for that :?:

As I thought. Certainly no need to use 'different' fingers or any fingers to 'hold' the 'A's, as they don't need to be gripped at all - notwithstanding the difficulty I would imagine this to cause with a standard lever type throttle and brake toggles as well ....

Surely the best forward / power launch technique is the 'Jesus' launch ? Arms out and slightly back with risers draped across forearms and fingers through brake toggles, palms facing upwards with each A riser 'hooked' in the gap between thumb and index finger. Feel slight even tension in A lines, then small step back before run / power forwards. 'A' riser stays in gap between thumb & index finger until wing is fully overhead, leaving hands in the correct position with brakes high.

I would imagine teaching people to grip the 'A's could lead to undue pulling or pushing on the risers and increases the risk of them letting go of the brake toggle or coming off the throttle during the unnecessary extra task of releasing the risers from their death grip ? Also, if they release too early it would be hard to grab them again without fluffing a launch, whereas guiding them up with open palm / thumb pressure you are always in control.

Go on, release those 'A's - it's therapeutic !! :wink:

PS - you can still hold them between thumb & index finger for reverse launches since you aren't squeezing any throttle.

Jock did you mod yours for cruise control, would like to adapt mine. Any ideas ?

Thanks for the link Alan, i will have to put the cameleon on my shopping list the tax man is due.

Thanks Clive

expensive side.

Thanks Clive

No cruise dont feel the need,but you could fit a small plate/bracket so when you are on quarter throttle it drops down so the lever doesnt go to back to the stop.fit a small spring on the plate so when you open throttle it springs back out the way.you would need to make the plate wide enough so you are happy with the cruise mode.,fit the plate at the top of the lever were cable nipple come out to fit on the lever.thats one way of doing it cheap.

Each to there own I suppose.

No criticism implied - guess it all depends on how you were taught. I've just never come across anyone teaching alpine launch technique by gripping the risers. I can see definite disadvantages but no advantage in doing it that way.

This pretty much sums it up.

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

I was taught that way by a world champion Paraglider and his world champion paragliding wife.

As I say, each to there own. The way I teach works, I teach every flyable day there is and have done for 5 years with good results. the proof is in the pudding...

Pop to Membury, and I will show you why it works.