Auto ratchet pulley block for the Speed bar.

seymore

Thanks for that link Woody. It was just the information I was after, though it does show that nothing is as simple as it first seems.

The paragraph in it that goes: On paper the operation of the automatic type of pulley seems ideal for releasing the speedbar without causing wear on the speedbar line. But in reality even the slightest load induced by releasing the speedbar is sufficient to engage the ratchet, in order to allow the pulley to turn freely once more the pilot is obliged to push the speedbar which is incompatible with conventional speedbar usage.

This shows I may have to reconsider how it works, the main problem being that the pressure from the riser end of the speed bar lines is what causes the ratchet to stay engaged. So releasing at the speed bar might not work. The solution would be to have the pulley block lie horizontal, or even pointing downward so that the pull from the risers does not keep the ratchet engaged. This means using a Becket Block and attaching it at both ends to the harness. see the below attachment:

I had a thought of using a sailing cleat, where the speed bar line goes through the cleat and locks off when you release the speed bar.

To release, just push the bar out and flick the line out of the cleat. The problem lies as to where and how to mount the cleat.........

http://www.purplemarine.com/Category.aspx?categoryname=Allen+Nautos+Cam+Cleats+%26+Accessories

HO-HT91025.jpg

Woody. :)

• 2 months later...

I have now fitted the system. It cost about £100 for all the bits. I used the Ronstan orbit 40 auto ratchet, and 8mm synthetic hemp rope in which I made a splice at each end and attached with litlle links to the Brummel hooks and bar. The ronstan pulley blocks have a clever little dynema loop which makes it easy to attach to the harness where the original pulley is attached.

Test flew it today and it does work very well. Speed bar works normally but requires only minimal pressure to hold once it is out, and releases easily once all pressure is removed from the bar. I would recomend it for anyone trying to go fast for long periods. I use full bar a lot as I fly a Sky Brontes 2 XL paraglider wing with paramotor risers. and need to keep up with my mates on their reflex wings. I have flown a Revolution and a Synthesis and much prefer my Brontes for its superior handling and climb, and maybe because I,m just used to it and it was cheap.

573363f127ce4_MeontheFusion.jpg.cebe2b6e

ronstan2.jpg.bf16e9d57e15c9346f305f06d71

It is neat, much safer than the cam-cleat idea that was posted, but I am going to have to find a better rope as the one I have used is not gripping quite as well as I want. I did a run down to the coast last week, on full bar nearly all the way there and back. But I still needed enough pressure to tire the legs as the rope wasn't gripping well enough and seemed to need more and more pressure as the rope got a shine on it and started slipping more easily. I,m going to try a much thinner braided dynema rope and thread in a bungee core to help it grip. Make it look like a snake that has swallowed a rat.

The only trouble i an see with this idea seymore is that if it works well we wil all fit one and you still wont keep up :lol:

ive just bought the new in flight ajustable speed bar.that going to be fitted to most new pg wings.got it from xc mag.should be here 2morro.got it for the new ppg when it arrives. £59