Waht's the differnce and why sooo many conflicting answers?

timdevorak

Hi Group...It's great to be back in the forum. I hope my nievity and inexperience will be tolerated here, but I have asked these questions on other forums and get conflicting answers.

What is the difference between a reflex wing and others?

I have an older Matrix Firebird 1-2 wing that is like new (3 hours TT). Can it be used for paramotoring? Thank you and please add your feelings and advice.

Tim D in Minnesota USA

Hi Group...It's great to be back in the forum. I hope my nievity and inexperience will be tolerated here, but I have asked these questions on other forums and get conflicting answers.

What is the difference between a reflex wing and others?

I have an older Matrix Firebird 1-2 wing that is like new (3 hours TT). Can it be used for paramotoring? Thank you and please add your feelings and advice.

Tim D in Minnesota USA

Hi Tim

Welcome, the best way is to illustrate by example.

When I was flying my airwave sport on my 5 th hour of Ppg, I was struggling to penetrate into the wind. When a lovely chap on a reflex took off below me and had at least another 12 mph on me.

Simple, I bought a reflex wing, for it's speed advantage.

People will wax lyrical for hours on reflex stability, and rightly so. But for the average pilot, flying in the uk in benign conditions, speed is a very real advantage.

From my own experiences and chatting to people, reflex wings are now so good that they perform like a standard paraglider in slow trim, and a speed machine, with the trims out.

Be aware that not all manufacturers are the same, in my opinion no one embraced reflex like paramania or Dudek. I currently fly a synth and will be changing for the highly acclaimed fusion shortly.

Best of luck simon

"At least 12mph faster? I don't think you were comparing 'like' with 'like' there. Same certifications and same size wings and same use of speed bar, you should only find 2 to 4 mph difference at max (with more fuel consumption). Agreed on more stability with reflex. Richard

Correct, I was comparing a lovely paragliding wing, with a Paramania revolution in trims out high speed mode. I was doing about 4-5mph over the ground and Dan said he was doing 17 mph.

there is no science to this, but the results of what a reflex wing could do was simply stunning to me.

cheers Simon

Ah, not a proper comparison then? Never mind, I had friends on the Sport, who quite liked it's PG ability. The Sport2 was supposed to be susceptible to front collapses.

Virtually anything will ridge soar (even a giant tea bag), but in marginal light conditions the PG wing will stay up. In very strong winds the reflex wing should do better.

Unpowered thermic XC conditions will always favour the PG wing over reflex, given equal sizes/certifications/weights.

If you're fixated by speed, get a powered HG?

Richard

I dont think it's a 'fixation' with speed....

Its more that, if you don't have a reflex wing in the UK (when flying PPG) you spend much of your time on the ground or flying to slow to do a decent XC. (assuming any sort of wind)

My weather window opened a huge amount when changing to reflex, I would say that my first reflex wing, doubled my flying hours in the first year.

Its not that I even mind sitting around not going anywhere... its quite nice some times, but when you see the two wings in the air together, which I do alot.... its sooooo clearly a better tool for the job.

Also, I agree that actually I would opt for a PG wing should I ever decide to fly the hills again..

SW :D