Running lumpy

matt_k

Just started my top80 for the first time for a couple of weeks and its running real lumpy and throaty although started first time!

Is this because the air temperature is so cold and needs adjusting for colder climates or just longer to warm up?

Its been kept in a heated shed but i started it outside.

Anyone been up in these temperatues?

I Had a flight a couple of weeks back it was bloody freezing when i took off!.. and then the wind picked up unexpectedly while we were about 2 miles down wind over the coast, shit my pants! it was soo bumpy but it did give me more confidence in my wing when we eventually got back!

Just started my top80 for the first time for a couple of weeks and its running real lumpy and throaty although started first time!

Is this because the air temperature is so cold and needs adjusting for colder climates or just longer to warm up?

Its been kept in a heated shed but i started it outside.

Anyone been up in these temperatues?

I Had a flight a couple of weeks back it was bloody freezing when i took off!.. and then the wind picked up unexpectedly while we were about 2 miles down wind over the coast, shit my pants! it was soo bumpy but it did give me more confidence in my wing when we eventually got back!

Hi Matt

No motor should need adjusting if its warm or cold (only with altitude as the air is thinner so it will run richer).

Does it clear it self after it has been running a bit? ie warmed up.

What do you mean by throaty?

Pete

Hi Pete

I didnt let it run for long at all,it did run smooth in higher revs but i just noticed a different noise almost like choke was on and very juddery so i turned it off.

I will have a good look over it tomorrow and let it warm up properly,

Does your top80 have a foot stirup or over head start?

I was thinking about changing mine to over head, seems less of a drama in the air!

Hi Pete

I didnt let it run for long at all,it did run smooth in higher revs but i just noticed a different noise almost like choke was on and very juddery so i turned it off.

I will have a good look over it tomorrow and let it warm up properly,

Does your top80 have a foot stirup or over head start?

I was thinking about changing mine to over head, seems less of a drama in the air!

Changed mine to over head, so much easier in the air and on the ground.

You just have to take the pull start off the engine and turn it120 degrees then bolt it back on, move the little pully up on to the cage over your shoulder and its done.

Hi Matt

I have a Polini that has run perfect and has been set up by the Polini guru (Oska ). I tried to run it in my garden and it runs on fast idle although I have not touched any of the slow or fast screws. After a few minutes it seems to calm down although it is still running fast enough to spin the prop though the clutch. I Started the motor holding the prop but it had enough bite to spin the prop if i let it go. I have have had a few motors to know that it's easy to jump the gun. Just check that old fuel has not gelled up in the carb and that the diaphram rubbers are not stiff with the cold.

I'm not sure how motor bikes got away with these issues but dont adjust anything until you are sure.

Russel

Polini airfer , H&E R220. 26 revolution , 31 reaction

I just had a good look at the motor again and everything seems fine but when i started it again the revs came down when it warmed up but the prop kept spinning!

I had a real cold flight the other week and then it was left in the back of my van in the cold weather i think the grease is damaged from the cold gone lumpy!

Neilzy to the rescue!!