Beach Flying?

ek2000

it is very likely that this question has been asked many times before, but here it is again:

Is it legal/acceptible to launch from the beaches?

For example http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=50.57859,-2.469993&spn=0.008857,0.01929&t=h&z=16 is a spot near Weymouth that seems like a perfect spot to park the car and have a nice long beach skimming flight. Is there a reason this can not / should not be done (admittedly I have not checked the airspace restrictions above this particular beach)

I know this is a bit premature to ask this before I get my motor (another month or so), but the planning and checking out the places I want to fly keeps the juices flowing :)

I made this a fairly broad question becuase there are many other beaches I would like to fly from and over.

Thanks,

Eugene

Is it legal/acceptible to launch from the beaches?

Disregarding airspace restrictions for the moment, you need the landowners permission to launch from anywhere. Although beaches below the strand line were traditionally Crown property, in practice ownership has passed to local councils - who are tremendously risk averse ! Our local council has banned almost every activity from the local beaches - including kite flying, ball games and even children digging with bucket & spade - their heads would explode at the thought of paramotors mixing with general public !!!! Saying that, there are beaches where it is permitted and some have recognised airstrips for microlight aircraft to use at low tide.

Some info from another thread here: http://www.paramotorclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2126&start=15

We used to launch from a quiet area of beach and it was great for a while. People used to watch (from a safe distance) and were very enthusiastic - asking questions when we landed and wanting to know where they could learn ... It took one moaner to complain, and next thing we had 3 van loads of neighbourhood wardens turn up to put a stop to it. They were friendly (one wanted a tandem ride) but there was no discussion and no way it could continue. Even without byelaws you could be arrested for causing a 'public nuisance' (noise etc) so just not worth the risk. Better to find a friendly farmer with a decent field nearby, then you can still fly the beaches (away from people of course).... :roll:

Quite a few recognised beach airfields listed here: http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/

Ahhh. I thought there was a reason :roll:

Well, it was worth asking.

I know there are a few beaches along the western coast of England and Wales that allow people to drive their 4x4s on - I am hoping the rules should be a bit more forgiving there. :wingover:

Well, I will make the final decision on what I am getting after the flying show and then get to the business of meeting the local pilots in my area and all the other great places to fly :D (I am hoping to have my new machine some time in January)

Thank you for the info, Simon - the airfield link is great - just what I was looking for! More food for daydreaming until I can get motoring again 8) .

Eugene