Speed bar

Ok im thinking of fitting my speed bar and Im up to 12 flights and clocked up 4 hours.

Should i get more time or flights under my belt first im flying a pap pa 125 and 31 synth.

Should i get an instructor to set this up when im ready ?I feel confident and feel the need for speed, as i am now going further afield.

Many Thanks Clive

I would get some one who knows what he is doing to set up the speed bar just incase if your are not 100% sure. It is an easy job but best to be safe..

As far as i know there is nothing wrong with using speed bar if your use it in the right trim range plus if your flying a reflex wing it makes it more stable in the bumpy air due to the higher speed more presure etc bla bla.

Also i dont think using the speed bar will make you go further faster yes further ???? the faster you fly the higher the rpm's

go for it and feel the speed :lol:

Just be careful mate, have a word with SW first, make sure your use it in full reflex and have good altitude so you could recover from a collapse in the unlikely event, (but I'm sure you know that)

can't remember if you carry a reserve or not, but I do :?

Cheers Rigger

Yer ive looked into it and i would only use it on full fast trim. Read the manual so to speak, its the setting up of it that i want to get right. Its about the only thing that they dont tell you how to use. Is there any where that explains the setup line lengths etc.

Maybe some pics or is it quite straight forward.

Thanks Clive

Best thing to do is a hang test. Get an assistant to hold the risers in their normal flying mode position with you in the harness.

You should be able to see the required length of speed line.

If in any doubt adjust on the long side, you can shorten them after a test flight.

Cheers,

Alan

Hanging is indeed the best way to set them as that's your flight mode.

Length comes down to preference in the end, some folks like to have bar on full with toes only, others with arch of your feet.

When hanging as in flight, with risers held up as in flight (tied somewhere even) extend your legs to your preferred speedbar length and have a helper fit the bar under your feet with lines hooked to quicklinks and run down thru guides through to the bar. If you have the slack to reach the ends yourself, hold them and with your legs and hands, get a feel for where you want to set it by pulling with your hands and/or pushing with your feet.

Keep an eye on your pullies through this test as you do not want any bar on when you don't intend it to be (pullies fully apart).

When you're confident you like the range, put bar full on (pullies touching) and have your helper either mark it at the speedbar, or tie a temporary knot.

I can't speak to the synth, but don't expect trim settings to affect the actuation of pullies for setup - you may wish to confirm.

You run the risk of your eyes watering more when you're done ;-)

Tip: I use "plastic lace holders" to keep my bar out of the way until I need it. The spring loaded bits that slide along a string but offer some resistance. Part of pretrip to check lines are ok, and keeps the bar up under the seat for takeoff then doesn't restrict use when the time comes to go fast. YMMV, but I can't imagine not using them.

Clive, here is a picture showing my speedline fitting:

Harnessspeedlines.jpg

My wing is a Dudek ReAction which has a longer speedline travel than the synthesis.

Because of this I need the speedbar jammed right up against the bottom of the seat, as shown in the pic, but I still cannot get full speedbar with my legs fully extended.

The ReAction has 20cm and the Synthesis has 14cm between pulleys on the risers. With the 2:1 travel required by the speedlines, plus some extra for slack and attitude shift (bum further back in the seat) I probably need 50+cm travel to achieve full speedbar. You should get full speedbar with considerably less.

Cheers,

Alan

Hey guys thanks for all the info its much appreciated. Thatwill give me something to do over the weekend. Thanks Alan for the pic and illustrations they are a great help, think i will get flight number 13 out of the way first. Or maybe i will skip that one and go straight to number 14 Not that im superstitous or anything.

Will let you know how i get on!!

Thanks Clive

• 7 months later...

i have now had a few flights with my speed bar , i was a bit aprehensive at first but the wing felt good. On first flight i could not quite get full speed bar due to the lines being not long enough. I have now lentghend them and they are ok now. The wing feels rock solid above on full speed bar and it feels like you are realy traveling.

Thanks Alan for them pics they realy helped. I did have a small miss hap and did not check them properly and they got caught on my alc, but it was no drama just untangled them in flight. I now check them once clipped in much furrer.

Thanks for the advice guys

I do wish that Dudek would give ALC as an option. :-(

From a student pilot point of view the balls just keep getting tangled.

If I were asked to design something that got caught up in a set of lines as quickly as possible, I struggle to think of any better solution than a ball on the end of some line. LOL

Only a minor niggle, but I wonder how often it actually happens?

SW :D

From a student pilot point of view the balls just keep getting tangled.

Only a minor niggle, but I wonder how often it actually happens?

Probably 50% of my launches (on slow trim) leave at least one riser with either the excess trim strap, ALC ball or speed bar line slightly tangled with each other. No big issue since it doesn't affect anything and you launch with brakes as the only control, plus it only takes a second to untangle them once you are up and in your harness. Reverse launching seems to give less chance of them tangling.

Not too sure how they could be improved as once free they are all in a perfect position for easy & immediate use - compared with some fiddly tip steering systems where you have to remove and replace stupid velcro backed toggles each time you want to change course.

I have always only ever reached up for the line... I think its a paragliding thing from my days as one....

I would sooner not have any 'stuff' dangling around and opt for reaching for the line every time, It dosent get any simpler than that. (maybe not possible with some higher hang point motors???)

Nothing to get caught up or slip, get twisted and so on...

Hence (I wish it was an OPTION) I would opt out of it.

This is not a Dudek V Paramania conversation..... I fly both, teach with both, own both, sell both and am happy with both on a very regular basis (its my full time job of course)... but the balls are just a pain in the balls IMO.

Without entering the Para-Dude debate, the ALC system works on different lines and certainly I find it more effective than simply pulling on the outer stabilo line. Perhaps the innovative wizards at Ozone will come up with something even more effective before long, but maybe you could use a velcro tab to keep it out of the way for students who don't need to use it (or at least during launch), whilst keeping it accessible for those that do ?

Probably going to get flamed, but here goes...

I recently got so fed up with the two bl00dy red balls getting tangled - I removed them.

Just undid the knot at the base of the riser and they were off in about 5 mins.

Re-connected the lines using the same knot and no more tangles!

The lines are marked with a black line, so when they go back on, will line up as per original.

I do not envisage using them for a while yet - due to training. So they can sit happily in the wings owners wallet.

Not flamed off me chap....

My problem is... students use the wing, if I make changes to that wing it becomes a legal nightmare in the event of an accident and indeed rightly so I think . If it were just me, I would have them gone in a second of course.

An option from the manufacturer would be the only option for me. :-(

Since i got my balls in a tangle, i thoroughly check them and now they dont seem to tangle. To be hnest i would not do without them as they are so good at turning in full half or neutral trim, used with the brakes, or without. I think that people ( or students ) should be taught where to hang them when getting ready for take off. Not do away with them, they realy are worth having.

Just got to look after your balls before take off. :wink: