A general question to all our MAC lovers

Panasonic HDC-SD700 and Mac Book Pro.

Just plug the camera directly in to the Mac, and do nothing else.

It will arrange by (day) and (event) into iMovie. (the free software) ready for editing.

Final Cut is the top notch software for movie editing but not required unless filming in 1080 60p

Go on..... you know you want to!!

SW :D

Simon

I can only whisper this so no one else can hear, but I’ve brought a Mac Book Pro 15”

Received it yesterday and iMovies does NOT recognize any video from my SD Card from my Panasonic HDC-SD5EG.

I’ve downloaded all the updates – (sounds like Microsoft now)

It recognizes only jpg’s

Tony

Why would you have to watch the video?

Just plug the thing in and let it do it's thing.

It's exactly the same as plugging in the SD card??

I think you may be thinking that it's more complicated than it actually is mate.

Pop over any time and I will show you.

I guess, but then I have to watch the whole video again. :(

I was hoping to just take out the SD Card from the camcorder and put it in my new shiny Mac and then the Mac reads it from that – like a PC would. :)

the thing is with a mac is you CAN do other things on it while it is down loading the film

I don’t think I’m over complicating things – just trying not to waste time.

For example – You take a video of say, 1 hour. You take it home, take out your SD Card, slot it in the Mac and copy the files over. – Simple and quick.

Want I am doing is taking the 1 hour video. Taking it home, connect the camcorder to the Mac and play back the video for the 1 hour while the Mac is recording and saving it.

I have even spoken to Apple and they say that Final Cut Express will not recognize the file format either.

I know what you’re say next – buy a new compatible camcorder. :cry:

My answer is use Pinnacle Studio 10 on a PC.

I still like the feel of the Mac and using jpegs with it so far. :)

My last option is to use a converter, that does not take 4 hours to convert the file format to MPEG 4.

Dude, I don't know what to say...

For me, it was super simple. iMovie and final cut both recognise the camera. I can start editing as soon as the first files are imported.

In fact I demoed this exact fact in Spain while loads of people were watching.

I had big problems with my files with my new ATC9k (better than the gopro)..but it would seem the file as it comes from the camera cannot be edited with any windows software.....

my mate (whos in the know about these things ) gave me a link to some free software that converts virtually anything to anything...

I just load all my req to be converted files....to it ...tell it the req output type ..and go to Bed and hey presto next morning everythings done....ready to edit....its what mates are for

:Dhttp://www.dvdvideosoft.com/

I had big problems with my files with my new ATC9k (better than the gopro)..but it would seem the file as it comes from the camera cannot be edited with any windows software.....

my mate (whos in the know about these things ) gave me a link to some free software that converts virtually anything to anything...

I just load all my req to be converted files....to it ...tell it the req output type ..and go to Bed and hey presto next morning everythings done....ready to edit....its what mates are for

:Dhttp://www.dvdvideosoft.com/

That definitely sounds better than my GoPro which just plays all my files straight away.

How boring, and I've got nothing to look forward to in the morning :wink:

? :? I thought it was the computor that played the files......its just that I have purchased the wrong laptop......the camera is the bollocks......

http://www.oregonscientific.co.uk/cat-O ... -Unit.html

I like the fact you can see what you are aiming the camera at..using the built in LCD.... :D

...I like the fact I can play back the footage ....to see what I have just got and delete if its crap (it usually is)..... :o

I like the fact the waterproof remote has all the controls as well so you can switch between video and stills if you want .... :D

oh and I like the little lazer light that comes out the front to show its about to switch on and record so even when its up in the wing you can see if its on or off.... :D

its just that it produces the wrong ....F ing ......file for my lap top :wink:

? :? I thought it was the computor that played the files......its just that I have purchased the wrong laptop......the camera is the bollocks......

http://www.oregonscientific.co.uk/cat-O ... -Unit.html

I like the fact you can see what you are aiming the camera at..using the built in LCD.... :D

...I like the fact I can play back the footage ....to see what I have just got and delete if its crap (it usually is)..... :o

I like the fact the waterproof remote has all the controls as well so you can switch between video and stills if you want .... :D

oh and I like the little lazer light that comes out the front to show its about to switch on and record so even when its up in the wing you can see if its on or off.... :D

its just that it produces the wrong ....F ing ......file for my lap top :wink:

Can you post some footage to see the quality

Ive only uploaded one video so far .......and its not in full HD ....because it takes ages to upload to youtube on my...... substandard computor system... :cry:

its only 1.30 long not 14mins ?? as youtube says....oh and its of my other love.....surfing so it might not tickle your fancy.....but here is the link.....

Latest episode update:

Phoned Apple a few times and no joy – but very helpful. Even went to the Apple shop in Swindon and asked them – still no joy.

Downloaded a file converter (Autsoft). Now I transfer the files from SD Card into the converter, which then loads it into iMovies. All good, but it did take 4 hours for a 6 GB HD video.

End result – Excellent once the video is in iMovies.

I have only used it over the weekend and so far really impressed in how you can interchange and select different photos, music, sound and video.

Great things like Auto ‘red eye’ and in iMovies using the ‘World thingy’ moving from one location to another. I lot more to learn thou, but looking good. :)

Summary – if you are thinking about buying one – make sure your camcorder is compatible with iMovies by checking Apple’s web site. Stills should be no problem.

Loads of different functions and interaction between different applications

In all, excellent crafted and usable machine.