Small fast wings

Nice Vid.

Just thinking aloud......

So why would it be the future?

OK smaller wings fly faster but is that a good thing?

As its smaller it would have to generate more lift to keep you airbourne?

As it it flys faster is it now flying closer to its stall speed?

Does it generate more induced drag as its flying faster?

Whats its sink rate if your motor failed or was switched off?

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head........

Woody :?

Nice Vid.

Just thinking aloud......

So why would it be the future?

OK smaller wings fly faster but is that a good thing?

I think that flying faster makes our machines more usable in more wind conditions and makes them useful transport, ie you can get somewhere, especially into wind.

As its smaller it would have to generate more lift to keep you airbourne?

yes. Increasing the wing load is what makes it fly faster. It has to fly faster to generate the lift needed to lift the extra weight.

As it it flys faster is it now flying closer to its stall speed?

the range of speeds (max to stall speed) may be smaller, but depends on the wing and riser design. ie can the wing change shape? A synthesis, flying heavily loaded will have a much greater speed range than my avalon for example, but both would have a higher stall speed; they would also have a higher top speed (everything gets shifted up)

Does it generate more induced drag as its flying faster?

No, not really. a given wing's induced drag will reduce as speed increases, but its profile drag will increase. So total drag will be similar at the increased speed, but depends on the wing design.

Whats its sink rate if your motor failed or was switched off?

Sink rate will increase but glide path will be about the same. You are coming down at the same angle (ish) but you are coming down that slope faster so you get lower more quickly; but you are not coming down any more steeply.

A big problem with faster wings and motors will be the landing and take off speeds. We already have difficulty running up to flying speed in nil wind on tandems and faster wings, and landings can be almost too fast.

Another problem is the thrust needed and the increased problems with precession and torque this will create. As we fly faster we need to find ways of reducing the form drag considerably (fairings, reclined pilot, thinner lines and risers, smoothed intake path for the prop)

I am working on a new harness system that smooths the airflow and allows the pilot to run much faster and land more like an aircraft. But without turning our machines into microlights (we are allowed to land at up to 35knts and still be SPHG). The tandem version was out yesterday for the third time and I was very pleased with the results. The solo version is still some way off but early next year........ It can be retrofitted to pretty much any motor but is primarily designed for the parajet range. It will make flying faster wings possible for all. Dudek will need to test and approve their small sizes for higher wing loadings :D:D:D:P

• 1 month later...

Maybe nice to know..... :shock:

Last couple of weeks it was very windy at my place. A friend of mine bought the ski'm 15 for soaring and paramotoring. I have a revolution 28 for soaring and paramotoring.

Last week and today we were soaring at the beach with 10 m/s wind conditions. I noticed the revolution has with 3/4 trims open the same speed as the ski'm. Even with a heavy pilot on the ski'm it's no problem keep up.

The reflex wing is much more stable in turbulence and has more altitude. The reflex wings are also perfect to fly in soft wind conditions. It's nice to see how a friendly soft flying machine can turn into a real racing monster.

So for even strong wind I don't need a ski'm to reach high safe speeds. :D

This wing looks like a "Bionic" with a pulled down centre rib and flicked up tips. If so then the 12m projected cannot be compared to a full arch type wing with the same projection. It is the lifting surface area that counts and that is even harder to calculate on a non simple arched wing.

Any road up it is definitely "the future" as it has a huge speed range (if it is a bionic) so you can run and take off in light wind and then go like the clappers.

i want one

just checked it out and yes it is derived from the bionic bio-air technologies.

i flew one cliff soaring in 2005 and was not impressed. maybe it is good for motor? any dealers got a demo i can try?

The speed system is a "central control" that pulls the centre down making the "moustache" shape even more pronounced. It is ingeneous but I remain unconvinced by the speed claims.

Re the Zako, I cant find any info on the in flight loadings the manufacturer is claiming for this wing or the stall/max speeds for given loadings.

Clive.... is the Zako Dudek's answer to say the Nova Ibex? and have you got a demo in? and what is its placarded max in-flight weight? and do dudek encourage use with a motor? And will they be taking it for homolgation and what class do they hope to acheive at 105kg all up?

Edited by Guest

well i have been looking for a small fast wing for ppg and high wind pg for a while now and the Nova Ibex is the closest Ive come to buying yet, so if the Zako's numbers are satisfactory then , yes lets give it a go.......

I agree although.....

As you say, to be expected in rough / high wind conditions to a point I suppose.

My main thoughts are, High wind take off 'great' = bigger flying window. (assuming the technology keeps on top of all of the other factors of course, passive safety, stability, e.t.c.)

I can't wait to see the next generation of 'small fast wings' for long XC flights.

I can see it now.....

Take off in 20mph winds, climb to 1500 ft into wind, turn down wind and away we go...

It would be interesting to know how fast the wind was, I am not sure that "It's just Nuking out here" was a part of the Met theory sessions. :lol::lol::lol:

SW :D