electrical charging.

tj

I have a cigarette lighter socket on my swing arm, wired directly to the battery.

Usually used to trickle charge the battery from a solar panel or the cars 12v outlet.

I can also plug phone chargers/GPS into it (needs securing for flight)

unfortunately cant be used as a proper cigarette lighter (too many amps) :(

Colin B

• 6 months later...
I have a cigarette lighter socket on my swing arm, wired directly to the battery.

Usually used to trickle charge the battery from a solar panel or the cars 12v outlet.

I can also plug phone chargers/GPS into it (needs securing for flight)

unfortunately cant be used as a proper cigarette lighter (too many amps) :(

Colin B

Cigarette lighter option is genius - just what I need. I use the rolling CAA charts on my iphone but the battery runs down super quick. I am planning to do the USSR rally at the end of the month and so could do with a decent power option to take me through the weekend with little access to the mains.

Question is - would it be possible to get a lead that connects from the three pin charging socket on a Parajet Volution (not the new one) to a cigarette ligher connection? That would be easier than connecting straight to the battery.

Anyone done this before? Anyone know the name of that socket so that I can search online?

Peter

I just worked out the answer as I wrote a PM to Simon ... I just cut off the one on the charger that they supplied with the unit and connect that to a cigarette lighter. I hardly ever use that charger anyway as I connect crocodile clips to the battery itself to charge up.

Cancel request for info (unless anyone has a neater solution)!

• 4 weeks later...

A lesson to all - get a voltage regulator if you plan to do what I did above. Worked fine until I started up and the iPhone fried itself completely. Clearly more than 12 volts surging when the engine is running at high revs.

On a positive note - I had good flight with Luke today. Around 6 balloons flying too. One of them dropped a parachutist (shush) which gave us a surprise.

Phone goes in tomorrow for new battery / fuse / whatever. And down to Maplin for a voltage regulator...!

Took the iPhone into the Genius bar at the Apple store and told them the problem, and how I did it. They hadn't had anyone destroy their phone by wiring it up to their aircraft before. They confirmed that it was totally fried and swapped it on the spot for a refurbished one for £55. I was astonished, not even in guarantee period and it was totally my fault. Excellent customer service. Would have cost £139 to do the same with an iPhone 4. Mine is a 3GS.

Not sure I'll bother with voltage regulator. Might leave my amateur electronics for a while and go for an external power pack... Not worth the risk, the nice guys at Apple may not be so kind next time!