Vario and GPS - Advice

Im looking for my first paramotor Vario and GPS Setup

Im looking at a used Flytec 4105 - What are these like??

I have a Iphone with memory map and caa airmaps but would like a proper gps to accompany this due to the iphone not doing point to point navigation like a big arrow pointing the way i need to go.

So use iphone for airspace avoidance but what gps would be good to accompany this for point to point away from airspace.

Years ago I used to to have a GPS 12 what would be another good cheapish option to accompany memory map.

Thanks,

Jonny

Im looking for my first paramotor Vario and GPS Setup

Im looking at a used Flytec 4105 - What are these like??

I have a Iphone with memory map and caa airmaps but would like a proper gps to accompany this due to the iphone not doing point to point navigation like a big arrow pointing the way i need to go.

So use iphone for airspace avoidance but what gps would be good to accompany this for point to point away from airspace.

Years ago I used to to have a GPS 12 what would be another good cheapish option to accompany memory map.

Thanks,

Jonny

Hi Jonny,

I used to have a Brauniger IQ/Basic GPS, which I believe is exactly the same unit as the Flytec 4105, (Same software).

I found it impossible to set up, and even got in touch with Brauniger but to no avail.

Despite making enquiries here on the forum, I received no replies as nobody appears to use them....I've since found that the Brauniger/Flytec units are predominantly soaring instruments, (best suited to paragliding as opposed to paramotoring).

I now have a Garmin 495 GPS......

Hope this helps.

Neil.. :D

unless you are going to do a lot of thermaling I dont see why you would want or need a vario, but still if you feel the need there is a free app for the Iphone called Ivario, it seems to work quite well

as for GPS, I have an garmin etrax vista HCX, great peice of kit with a barometric altimeter, easy to use and comes with proximity alarms for both altitude and position so you never need to worry about straying into restricted airspace again.

you can load in your own POI files and it can also be used like a sat nav in car as it gives you the option to navigate by road or off road.

http://catalog.ebay.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex- ... 286.c0.m14

Cheers, Dave