LED fuel gauge

I am thinking of building a fuel gauge using either a panel meter or a bank of 6 or 8 led's as the indicating medium, possibly different coloured ones, maybe flashing, maybe with a push button to operate, not really decided yet, and will probably use reed switches and floating magnet to operate it but..............Pete suggested that I mention it here in case anyone is interested in buying one, it being almost as easy to make 2 (or 3) as it is to make one. If anyone is interested I would need to know what machine they use as I would supply the gauge with a new screw top for the fuel tank to avoid damaging the one in use. Regards, Norris.

Yep I'd definitely be interested... for a Parajet Macro

Might be worth putting the gauge on the throttle cable near the throttle control so that it is effectively near your line of sight. (just a suggestion...feel free to ignore!) :)

Cheers

Because I like to have new stuff, and it IS very useful as a permanent reminder of levels. A mirror is great if you remember to use it in time.

Great for Aus or any other decent XC. Fly til your dry. :-)

SW :D

mine is tucked into the gin reserve container in front of me, not something you keep getting out to look at, you should have a good idea on what fuel you have left. on an xc i think I have looked at it twice hence pointless having more crap hanging off you

the best fuel guage you can buy is a mirror or a piece of polished stainless plate, why complicate things, you will only take a mirror with you as a back up any way

Cobra-- too right! ... the simplest methods are the best.. this debate comes up every once and a while.. i usually get drawn into this argument, but keeping back this time.

Usually when someone comes up with the 'next best thing', they should think, if it's so simple- why hasn't it been done before..? It has been already discussed to death on this forum alone... never mind avery other forum.

GD

The Americans spent over $1M designing a pen to use in space.

The Russians used a pencil................need I say any more about mirrors

Interesting..... I used to laugh about this too.. until I found out the real reason they developed the pen. The Americans decided they couldn't use pencils in space because of the risk posed to electrical equipment (switches etc...) should a piece of graphite brake off the pencil during use, or sharpening... Clutch pencils were ruled out as well for the same reasons...... but why didn't they use Chinograph pencils (wax instead of graphite)??????

As I see it ( always look on the bright side of life )

A) it's a 90% 10% split between people wanting one and people not which is my book is a go.

B) They (the 10%) are not dissing 'his' idea or 'him' at all, just the idea of anything other than a mirror.

Look for the good and you will find it.

I'm not fussed about having an uncalibrated fuel meter or gauge, but I would be interested in a sngle LED for low fuel warning (to mount in or next to the throttle) - something like this, as previously discussed: http://www.paramotorclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659

It must be simpler / easier / cheaper to make, so has anyone got plans, designs or link to a commercially available sender unit that would work ? (I can manage the LED part). :)

Anyone not too keen on the gauge use a gps instead of just a map & compass, or an electric start instead of manual? Or use an engine instead of a hillside!?

Just wondered!

Can see the simple versus complicated argument, one can fail, two's backup!

Tj.