pap fly 200cc new

amc1929

I have a friend with a Pap 200, says its a good reliable motor, so far, with plenty of power. Had some initial teething issues with breaking props, cage touched prop with powered forward launch, despite the support bar, cured the issue by setting the prop further back with spacers.

As Pete says any Simo model, take a peep in the classifieds, there's a good example there :)

can anyone give me un-biased information im buying a pap fly 200 new are they ok and what may'be my alternatives as i'm 110kg and looking for a machine but cant seem to find any secound hand machines but dont mind buying new. any help much appreciated. thanks

The Fly200 is a very powerful responsive engine, quite noisy, fuel consumption is OK, early ones tended to overheat if tuned even the slightest bit lean, not sure if this as still a problem with the latest engines but be careful of that. Make sure that the PAP dealer holds plenty of spare parts because it takes a long time to get the from Fly Engines.

I would not do a full power launch with this engine, it is just too powerfull, especially with the PAP frame which flexes quite a lot. Get the wing overhead before easing on power. I know of someone that bent a very strong double rimmed Walkerjet frame doing a power launch with this engine.

Paul D

Depends a lot on your build and if you want a low or high hangpoint machine, active swingarms or otherwise .... A few wider built pilots seem to struggle with low hangpoint machines (ask Neilzy on here) whereas I found the FlatTop harness a bit wide and not long enough (over 6'6").

At 100kg a Black Devil motor got me off the ground no problem, and it was even easier with a Simonini or F200. My Walkerjet was the easiest to launch and get into, but it and the FT sit quite low on your back so not best suited for shorter build.

Never had a problem with full power launches but never applied it when the wing was on the ground .... it only needs a dab of power to bring the wing overhead before giving it full beans.

Worth meeting up with people and at least trying a few for size / comfort before committing to a potentially expensive mistake, even if you can't actually test fly them first.

Hmmm, lots of people buy motors with very flexible cages.

In my opinion why?

If you never intend to do a power forward launch (not for learners for sure) then maybe alright.

Why in this day, can props still hit the cage with relatively small amounts of force?

If you fall over on tick over, some machines will allow the prop to touch the cage…bang, there goes a prop. There are plenty of machines out there, that do not have this problem.

Worries me.

I have a friend who is very tall, and he managed to do a power forward launch, the cage flexed and he hit the prop with the back of his knuckles.

Ouch. He was very lucky it was only a flesh wound and it healed OK. Sure made him think about that. He then fitted a cross bar, which stopped the flex completely.

I have a friend who is very tall, and he managed to do a power forward launch, the cage flexed and he hit the prop with the back of his knuckles.

Couple of questions: in what way did being "very tall" effect the outcome (just curious as I am over 6'6") ?

I assume (from the knuckle injury) that he was still holding the risers so the wing was not yet overhead & flying, so why give it so much power ? Any wing can be launched in zero wind just by running forwards.... with a heavy motor on your back it helps to give a dab of power to assist the wing - but it only needs a small amount.

When people talk about "power launches" surely you don't mean giving it full power while the wing is still on the ground ?? I've never seen anyone use this method and it only adds unnecessary risk if the wing doesn't come up perfectly straight - a bit like exiting a junction in your car by giving it maximum RPM before dropping the clutch (fun in a RWD car but not exactly an approved technique) :lol:

ETA - just found this video:

Still can't see any advantage in starting with full power. :?: It may save just a few metres of running but the wing still has to build up air speed once overhead and more power just means more risk from even a minor mistake... Surely the trick is to fly the wing, not the motor .... ?

I agree there seems no point saving a few hundred grams of weight if it leaves a flimsy cage, which is one of the first things I look for. Most of the big engined machines I've looked at are more than adequate and although I've seen some flimsy / weak designs they have been on the little motors for light people who won't generate anywhere near as much force.

Huuuummmm in no wind or little wind I use the lean forward loads of power 20-30 sec to get the air moving....then I lean back reducing to 3/4 power ....then go at it full chat....the paramotor blows me down the field its the best method for me...(.because my legs are crap) I never was a cyclist I always prefered the motorbike. untill I started using this method I struggled

:?

Gary - so you lean back & give it full chat before pulling the wing up ? On the vid I posted above, the guy gets pulled back a few steps as the wing drags itself up under full power. He executes it perfectly but it just seems like adding an extra element that could go wrong.

Don't think I've ever used more than 1/3 power to get the wing up, then full chat after at least a couple of steps forward into my run. Maybe different motors balance at a different point on your back, or maybe because I free fly a lot I like to lean forward for the initial pull up, then add power as I get more upright & into my stride. Always interested in any new technique that could make it easier / safer though ...

Not quite......like I said I lean forward for around 20-30 sec reduce power slightly as I go from this position to fully leaned back as I approach the fully almost arched back position its full power again this will throw you forward and yes sometimes as the wing comes up it can lift you as long as you keep the power on you wont go backwards....once the wing is overhead and you are running you can if you (want )..delay the take off to check everythings ok ie (ipods working, camera secure, instruments set ,ect ect) and away you go it works for me but it might not for everybody else... as it does req total commitment....I am sure some people wont agree its just the way I do it