Flying Sunday

bendmeroundthehedge

Hi, Dingocooke (steve) & Paddy,

Let me be the first to congratulate you Steve on your first solo flight, lets hope the first of many. It was great to catch up with you paddy and meet you steve, ( even though i was freezing my Bo-----s off.)

Let`s get christmas out the way and then we can arrange a small cross country flight to start the new year off as we meen to go on.

It would have been nice to meet up with Kev again (bendmeroundthehedge) I think its a classic case of, i know you but you might not remember me. I was up at viaton the day my friend clipped your paramotor when i was flying, if that helps kev.

Oh well, see you all soon.

Gilly. :D:D

Hi Gilly appreciate it!!! Just got the icicles off my neck LOL; pity paddys radio packed up on take off (the last thing I heard was 'more throttle'; then silence....) Oh well hope I didnt make too much of a dogs breakfast of it!!!

Steve

PS would love a copy of the vid/pics if they came out?

Hi Steve,

you looked ok to me, and i bet you`ve still got a big smile on your face this morning. (just remember to put your landing gear down next time. LOL :D )

I have got one picture of you, but as for the video, the quality was a bit poor as i had it set wrong, if i get chance i will stick it on a disc for you. If you send me your email address into my personal message box i will send you the pic. I will upload a few of paddy into my album.

Gilly :):)

Hi Wayne,

Have sent you my address details etc by PM; appreciate it!

For my solo the radio was connected up so Brian, ever helpful, could talk me through the whole thing; kit on, paramotor on (boy that feels heavy after a morning ground handling!) hooked in, engine started; reverse launch, my ground handling had paid off, on the 2nd attempt my wing was up clean over my head nicely and in control, I turned and set off, power on, running into wind, feel the wing, load on the old legs going light, the last words I heard from Brain were 'more power Steve' and then the radio crackled and went dead; but I was off nice and smooth, I wiggled into the harness; (hey this is comfier than hanging in the straps!) gained a little height and then started to get a little spooked as I realised I was on my own with no reassuring voice on the radio; I did two 'circuits' talking to myself (the second one way too low; not enough throttle on the downwind legs) got back into wind for the landing; but concentrating on trying to kill the engine Id lost most of my height, and flared too late; my legs folded on 'landing'-(I think 'impact' would be a fairer description :-) )

Nothing damaged thankfully, but that was probably more luck than skill.

I have run the flight through my mind over and over and over and over all last night, and this morning as well, and I have none of the post solo euphoria that I had when I did my hill flight with the PG 3 or 4 weeks ago; just relief that I did the right things (mostly) and got down ok.

So what next?

On Friday I agreed to buy a very low hours H&E R120, and had found an absoluely cracking deal on a brand new Synthesis, and so by this thursday I would be kitted up and ready to go; but Sunday has changed all that and Im not going to be buying any kit.

Im really disappointed

Steve

Hi Wayne

Really appreciate the phone call, and totally agree with what you said, but my gut feel is I shouldnt take it any further; Im obviously disappointed it didnt pan out like my dream; but who knows what the future holds?

Thanks again for the phone call; youre a top chap.

Have fun

Regards

Steve

steve when i talked you though your pre flight, you did exactly what we talked about in the flight, so you did nothing wrong so dont pack up, the coiled cable of the headset coming out of the radio on take off would have knocked any bodys confidence but you delt with it and thats good pilot skills, get that kit you was going to get, i would put you up there with the best in a few flights time as you are very keen, dont let it knock your confidence, it was nothing!

from paddy at paddys paramotor training

Big shame it was wasnt a great day for you - you did handle yourself well under pressure especially without the ground support when the comms went down - you did fantastic and the landing was good for a first go (my first, second & third were all very similar). Stepping onto the ground is only a second difference in your braking and you did far better than braking too early. I was telling you on the day that I used to be scared of heights, I am still nervous when flying in a jet but love paramotoring - confidence in your equipment and ability will come. Having your first flight on a day when the temperature didnt get above freezing, not to mention the wind chill... Just imagine summer nights, nil winds, flying with the balloons, warm enough to fly in a tee shirt, air so still you only have to lean slightly to take a turn for the next picture or admire the sights - that, still, years on takes my breath away. :D

please keep at it you will get bitten by the bug Im still chase those amazing flights you never forget them.

keep in touch many thanks Miles

Steve,

When I had my very first high flight and circuit (with no radio) I was saying to myself out loud, "What the F*** an I doing up here!???!!!!?!?!"

I can safely say, I did not have 'fun'

The sport takes a bit of getting used to, you have only had one flight and I think that you should do another 2 before making up your mind.

Miles is correct, about the late summer evenings and balloon chasing, they are priceless moments.

Stick at it Steve!

SW :D

Steve,

Flying isn't for everyone, quite a few people try it then self select themselves out of it. Some live long and regret it for many years until they return to it and wonder what the fuss was about in the first place. I don't know anything really about your case, your pals will know best there, but one thing does make me think when I read your missive above....

Im really disappointed

You know what they say about faint hearts and maidens... as Paddy said, give it another try before you stack it, you might be surprised at the outcome.

Good Luck!

desktop1680-20071219-082330.jpg

Just a suggestion;

so many things to learn and perfect all at once; a dream partially fulfilled; successful PG stage;

=Defer final decision and go back a stage and fly PG for a bit, get really used to fine tuned landings from little hills where the stakes are not so high i.e ground skimming flights. Learn precision control, s turns, "landing on the spot"....When that is so second nature that you can do it in your sleep then decide about PPG?

It may be that even if you decide against PPG you might take up PG?

I meet many people ; all different , who have the same dream of flying, its a soul/spirit/destiny thing.

If you have to do it you will find a way :D:D

Wise words above from someone who has the background to support the wisdom.

Steve, I have made my living in the air for thirty three years, flown all sorts of stuff from sailplanes to the 747 with some interesting metal in between - but THIS is different, the sensory overload when you get airborne is massive and the skills required, though not complex, do take a little while to acquire. The contact that you have with the wing and through it to the ether are... elemental and uniquely exhilarating.

The rewards are well worth the journey in my opinion, we are all equal in this game. If there is a little voice out there whispering in your ear, "go on, you know you can do it" .... listen.

If not, take a short break, drive up to the boundary hedge of your flying field and look on.... and think again - you made the mistake of mentioning the word 'dream' and doubts and misgivings are all part of the achievement trail.

p331-20071219-103234.jpg

Paddy, Gilly, Norman, Francis, Miles, Kev; so kind of you all to post.

Im going to take Norman's advice and step back for a while; gather my thoughts; try and rationalise what I feel, and then go from there.

Have a great xmas and a fun 2008

Steve

P.S-Paddy will pop around tomorrow with cash as promised; Steve

Hi Steve.

Have a great christmas yourself. Sit back and relax. And who knows, next year when the summers here, and a paramotor comes flying over your house, you might decided to give it another shot. You know where we are.

All the best.

Gilly. :):)

P.S. I will get that video done for you so you can see that you looked great flying, and maybe it wasnt that bad after all.

Hi Steve,

just to say i hope you had a good christmas and i have edited that video for you. i will get it sent off to you as soon as i have time. I cant get it any better than how it is. I hope you like it. Ive tried to make it so that you will fly again. all the best .

Gilly. (wayne)

P.S. see you in 2008

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne

Yes had a good one, hope you did to and a hppay 2008 to everyone; looking forward to seeing the vid; no need to edit, warts and all is actuallybetter for me..

Steve