My Home built Paramotor Progress

Here are some pictures of my progress so far for those who may be interested.

DSCF0906.jpg

I eventually managed to get enough tension on the netting using a thing bought from a chandlery. It is a threaded bar that tightens from each end.

DSCF0905.jpg

DSCF0904.jpg

DSCF0903.jpg

DSCF0902.jpg

Do you think that the risers will snag the way I have fitted the netting?

Things still to do:

Paint the chassis

Paint the remainder of the hoops and support bars

Fit a plate for the electrics

make and fit the swing arms

buy and fit a harness

Then go fly :)

How tough is your aluminium tubing?

The ultimate test is to fall sideways onto it during a slow run, been there and it's not to be recommended.

I'm wondering if where you have formed the bends in the support arms would not just deform some more.

If you can avoid falling over all the better, I bet few pilots have in their early days.

I think the netting will tend to impede the lines as well :(

Cheers,

Alan

How tough is your aluminium tubing?

It is the same guage and strength as the part of the fresh breeze parts that I had before.\

It is much stronger than the old frame I had with very little distortion even at the outer unsupported edges. I did not lik the carbon fibre idea that the mini plane used, but I did like the way it packed away.

The ultimate test is to fall sideways onto it during a slow run, been there and it's not to be recommended.

If you can avoid falling over all the better, I bet few pilots have in their early days.

I think I will wait till that happens if you dont mind :) No need to try it just yet, but I am comfortable that it would be no worse than the fresh breeze. I have had my fair share of falls and broken props already so I am hoping that I have done all the major damage.

I'm wondering if where you have formed the bends in the support arms would not just deform some more.

I dont think so as I annealed them before bending them and then rehardned them once I got them to the shape I wanted, so it should not deform on the bends any more than anywhere else. Time will tell :)

I think the netting will tend to impede the lines as well :(

I am open to suggestion on this one. I did contemplate drilling holes along the inside edge of the hoop and then cable tying the net to it but I am not sure that this will not just make the hoop weaker

The main chassis legs and cross members were not welded as I would like to be able to eaily replace them if it gets damaged. They are bolted together uing M8 high tensiile bolts so I think that there should be more than enough strength there. I do need to add a few more bolts to the cross members as they are only a friction fit at the moment.

The frame dismantles in a similar way to the miniplane etc, but it uses spring buttons to hold the support arms on. (the kind you use in tents, )

Thanks for the comments

Sounds like you have put some thought into it, sounds good.

At least the netting cord is flowing away from the direction the lines will take on forward inflation (if that makes sense).

Once you have the harness you could always try some non powered forward launches to see if there is a problem, before any further amendment.

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 years later...