Sunday's XC

Longest flight so far for me yesterday. Took the Nucleon 31 on fast trim all the way for 3 hours and 5 minutes, covering just shy of a hundred miles, on a triangle flight across Devon. First leg took me to Neders in 44 mins where I stole 4 litres of petrol...I was carrying oil to mix and 2 allen keys. Waved him goodbye and headed for Exmoor. Up high there for a view of the entire South Wales coastline and much of the Bristol channel. Then back to cousin Rob's where I stole another 5 litres of petrol. Didn't hang about as I knew there was heavy rain coming. one hour 5 mins to fly back home about 28 miles against the wind and landed 15 mins before the rain came. Very pleased with the wing. Soaks up the miles, albeit increasing my fuel consumption from 3.5 to 5 litres/hour. But miles per gallon about the same. Didn't mind the spikey air either. No tucks detected. And had a thousand feet/min on the vario climb on full reflex at one point and with no dive forward when it came out of it. Wish I'd closed the trimmers and turned back in to ride it to cloud base now, but I just wanted to see how far I could get. Cruised at 2500 ft all the way. Looking forward to next time

Up high there for a view of the entire South Wales coastline and much of the Bristol channel.

Nice one Dave. You didn't wave though? ;-) Ian and I flew from England to South Wales, then back to near home on Sunday. The Severn and Bristol Channel looked beautiful.

Cheers

Paul

Nice one Paul.... Will have to arrange a rendez-vous flight. I know a farmer at Taunton ! Reckon you could get there ? He keeps petrol. 40 miles long straight leg for me

Dave

Sounds like a great plan. A few of us are getting longer legs and would have a go. Steve B made Bath to Swanage recently. Maybe we can convince Radical will come Souf and join us?

Cheers

Paul

Gonna pay Radical a visit soon. I want to check out his diet and try it. He can have mine . :lol: He'll be needing a few extra pounds to keep up with me now ! Say hi to Steve from me. Be good to catch up with you guys again. Going to a flyin near you soon. Will try to get you an invite if you're interested ???

Dave

Just a thought....its great to see people going XC and I feel I am somehow missing out !

:? ....but it just doesn:t do anything for me....am I in the minority :(

I like to fly new places just as much as anyone else but.....the actual getting to new places by paramotor I find a bit boring..... :shock: For me the enjoyment is terrain flying .....and well just messing about :P ...bit of footdragging the beach ,,flying the cliffs ,,following the rivers,, and valleys :wingover:

my paramotor lives in the van and if the weather is right away we go.....it could be anywhere in Gods Country (( Wales ))....Scotland ....or even england..but the thought of hanging around while going in a straight line....arggghhh....

I do sympathise with your sentiment Gary. Until recently, I always preferred kicking the tops of the fir trees, trying to scrape a wingtip, or doing touch and goes until I was knackered. But we have such a versatile sport here. There's something for everyone. I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter which aspect of the sport you prefer. What matters is that you get out there and do it. And from the looks of things, you are.

Although I have an SPHG pilot rating, I never enjoyed the navigation, before. But now I have a faster wing, I want to explore the new possibilities of travelling. Plotting a course, mindfull of restrictions, and taking fuel purchase into account, have made me realise that I can get around as quickly as I could by road. Faster under some circumstances. The next step would be to sleep under the wing, somewhere in Cornwall, and then fly home, without phoning the girlfriend for a lift in the van. Lands End to JOG might be in sight. And across to Ireland to meet the famous Gordon Dunn. Who knows ? Pushing your limits is what your short life is about. If I get bored on XC I can always resort to listening to music !!!

Dave

For what it's worth Dave I had a record day yesterday too.

Flew from Lyme Regis to Midhurst in West Sussex in a single leg.

104 miles in 2 hours at average speed of 51.4 mph with a max recorded ground speed of 69.1 mph. Used 10 litres of fuel flying a 29 synthesis and the polini Thor with a 125cm prop.

At takeoff wind speeds 14-17 with gusts up to 23 at ground level.

The more sane amongst us will suggest I should not have taken off and by the end of the flight I would thoroughly agree with them. I won't be repeating it.

I was very very lucky is the truth.

Flat Top Dave wrote:-

Gonna pay Radical a visit soon. I want to check out his diet and try it. He can have mine . He'll be needing a few extra pounds to keep up with me now !

Hi Dave

You're not kidding mate

I had a lovely flight round York Sunday evening with some friends and buzzed a Virgin (balloon that is). :)

But....

Ric was on a 26 Fusion, all up weight around 140kgs, trim setting two fingers from full slow.

Mike on a 26 Revo, same wing as me, AUW around 120kgs, on neutral trim.

Yours truly, 90kgs AUW, full trim and speedbar!! And still falling behind!!

I knew I'd be slower but the scale of it was surprising and quite a potent lesson on how wing loading affects speed.

I felt like I did that on trip to Dartmoor with the Arcus trying to keep up with Actions and Revos. :o

Oh well, I'll just have to have more curry and beer. :P

Hope to see you soon

Cheers

Steve