Anybody ever try a Paratoys Blackhawk paramotor

subnate

Hey I know this is a american brand but has anyone tried a Paratoys blackhawk paramotor? Its just they are so much cheaper then anything else I'm wondering if there's a big quality and reliability difference. Also I really like the look of the paraje tbut being new and not knowing a whole lot the cage looks like I could lose a finger in it, do they make one with netting? I already saw the post about flat top so I won't ask about that, but how do you guys like your freshbreezes.

I know two friends that have bought Blackhawk units and both have had problems with them ranging from the wrong kit being sent so the prop was actually touching the netting at full revs, to other more mechanical problems that have led to engine failure. One friend is still experiencing a lot pf problems over a year in. The company has been quite responsive in each case but I think the damage is done for one of the guys.

I'm afraid I don't share your belief in netting as a net is probably the flimsiest protection you can get and any engines that I've witnessed and owned which used a thin cage and netting inevitably ended up getting bent out of shape in the early stages of flying when the cage tends to meet the ground a little more.

Ya thats kinda what I was worried about, because what I have read there motors are just copies made in China. So what would you reccomend? I've kinda narrowed to the Parajet, the Freshbreeze, the Kobra, and the Flat top, I just have to figure out which ones are the most dependable, safest and easiest to get parts for on this side of the waters. I would also like it to be small enough for my wife to foot lauch and me at 90 kilos not to have to run a mile to get up. So it sound like a strong cage is good for a begginer like me.

Hi there

I'm afraid I haven't got the experience to advise on the motor choices mentioned but I do feel compelled to put a word in for adequate netting on a motor.

This serves two purposes, firstly stopping hands contacting the prop if something goes wrong whilst ground running.

Secondly, stopping the brake handles being sucked into the prop.

This is particularly a potential problem on low hang point machines, e.g. Parajet and Pap, where the brake handles are much closer to the cage.

It happened to me twice (on a Pap) with the handle thankfully bouncing back off or I might not have been here today.

I added additional netting to mine immediately with smaller holes.

Cheers

Steve

I added additional netting to mine immediately with smaller holes.

Fair point about the extra netting and it's the kind of thing that can be added later at little cost rather than having to be a part of the unit when you purchase.

Good luck with the search for the perfect motor but I warn that you're always going to making a compromise in one way or another as power usually offsets against weight and price often offsets after sales service levels (more expensive in the UK than bought from abroad).

Personally I lean towards having some extra power at the expense of weight as I think it's easier to launch a powerful engine than a light (less powerful) engine. On cost, I'd rather pay a bit more up front if I thought it was going to result in better, more accessible after sales service later. It's for these reasons that I bought a Parajet having owned an Adventure before.

Heres another question how does power compare to elevation, say I buy a motor that is rated for a guy that is 220pnds and I try to lauch from a elevation of 7-10 thousand feet. I might move to around Denver Colorado. Will I need more motor? Yep totally agree I think you get what you pay for. So I think I have narrowed it down to the Freshbreeze, they seem to have awesome features like the bing carburator, in my line of work simple usaully works better, being able to jettison the motor, and the company has been around for ever.theres a guy here in the US that if you order from him he will personelly deliver and set up the unit, and train you for free. Sounds too good but will see.

I'm certainly in favour of Fresh Breeze as I have flown one now for 78 hours. The bing carb is great, no adjustments required at all.

The motor jettison feature is not the B all and end all, I have never had cause to use it or heard of anyone else.

You may like to view these postings:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4993&start=0

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5252

.......on my conversion to a fixed harness, without the jetison feature.

Cheers,

Alan

Dudek ReActionTST 29

Fresh Breeze Airboss (Solo)

Previous Posts: 739 (logged as Alan K)