Finding land - getting permission etc

Evening All

I'm soon due to be entering the wonderful world of PPG, and already have a club/equipment lined up etc (thanks for everyone's help so far) 8)

In a nutshell, I was wondering what you guys do for take-off/landing sites when you're outside of the club environment? Say there's a nice field nearby, how would you normally go about using it, once or a few times (not a permanent base)? There's a few nice sites round where I live that would be nice to use, but I'm struggling to find out who the owners are etc.

I think this would open up the possibilities of "flying home" if you like, not having to return to the same field you took off from...

I may have answered my own question there (finding land owner permission) but would be interested to hear any stories.

Cheers

Maz :)

Evening All

I'm soon due to be entering the wonderful world of PPG, and already have a club/equipment lined up etc (thanks for everyone's help so far) 8)

In a nutshell, I was wondering what you guys do for take-off/landing sites when you're outside of the club environment? Say there's a nice field nearby, how would you normally go about using it, once or a few times (not a permanent base)? There's a few nice sites round where I live that would be nice to use, but I'm struggling to find out who the owners are etc.

I think this would open up the possibilities of "flying home" if you like, not having to return to the same field you took off from...

I may have answered my own question there (finding land owner permission) but would be interested to hear any stories.

Cheers

Maz :)

Keep asking around the local area, some one will know who owns it.

Hi Mazzy,

I found a field that was suitable then located the landowner.

I explained what I did, showed him a short video that I had on my smart phone and agreed a fee for using the field...... easy as that.

I'm always on the look out for news sites as you dont want to 'over use' a particular site.

Hope that helps,

Woody

Nigel - like it :mrgreen:

I'll try and find the owner information - see how it goes...

It's interesting, one of the guys in work was asking me "Can you just land and re-fill", and as I was explaining the fact you can't land on a Shell garage, I started thinking about navigation - would you guys normally fly between grass strips, or simply fly around the local area for a while before returning?

I guess you can do both - would just be interesting to hear what you guys do or what is the 'norm'!

If you had previously done a recce and been able to find who owns the land (try The land registry) near a petrol station and had permission to land, I guess you could 'just land and fill up'. And am I right in thinking you can get permission retrospectively?

Land registry also helpful for finding out who owns land at any potential site.

Tj.

I spotted a good field whilst out driving once, I asked at the nearest houses who owned it but no one knew, I wrote a short message asking the owner to contact me and left my number, I put the peice of paper in a bag, rolled it up and stuck it threw the padlock on the gate, that way they are bound to find it.

the owner called me but unfortunately he already had plans for the field.

so try that, may just work :D

Dave

I spotted a good field whilst out driving once, I asked at the nearest houses who owned it but no one knew, I wrote a short message asking the owner to contact me and left my number, I put the peice of paper in a bag, rolled it up and stuck it threw the padlock on the gate, that way they are bound to find it.

the owner called me but unfortunately he already had plans for the field.

so try that, may just work :D

Dave

Yes Dave - this is the best stategy- works with me too. Instead though, i come prepared. Print out a few 'stanadard sheets' with an intro into what PPG is and a photo, remembering to emphasise 'occasional use'... when you spot somewhere nice just stick in inside a plastic bag and tape onto the gate handle- so it can't be avoided.. Take care if cattle or horses are in the field, they could eat the note.... The promise of an aerial photo normally swings the decison in most cases....

GD