How do I fix this?

Hi

Although the other side of my prop is beyond repair, this side received just a scrape and I was wondering if I could use a thin layer of epoxy, sanded down to repair it. Can it be done this simply, and if yes, is there a particular epoxy to use? If not, can anyone advise me how to go about making the repair?

http://danz.jalbum.net/Busted-prop/

Many thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes that can be fixed easily with 2 part epoxy resin. Apply, smooth off then sand down when cured. Paint after if you want it to look good, I used a black spray out of a can on mine;

I used an epoxy with added glass fibre strands when fixing the more major crunches, i.e. no tips left, to better resist the effects of vibration. Didn't have any problems with the (inexpert) repairs, until the next cage or ground strike :oops: .

Don't forget to check the balance of the prop before use.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Dan,

Yes that can be fixed easily with 2 part epoxy resin. Apply, smooth off then sand down when cured. Paint after if you want it to look good, I used a black spray out of a can on mine;

I used an epoxy with added glass fibre strands when fixing the more major crunches, i.e. no tips left, to better resist the effects of vibration. Didn't have any problems with the (inexpert) repairs, until the next cage or ground strike :oops: .

Don't forget to check the balance of the prop before use.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for the swift response Alan.

2 Questions:

You mention repairs using epoxy with added glass fibre for more major crunches, would you attempt a repair to the other end of my prop. I'd written it off in my head:

http://jalbum.net/browse/user/album/689326/

Also, how do you balance your prop when repaired?

Cheers

Dan

Check this out I use this stuff for my surfboards....but Ive also used it for my prop/ both paramotor and microlight ....it does what it says on the tube :P ......it sets when exposed to sunlight in just a few seconds ...so you can sand it in around 3 mins....back in the air less than ten.....if its just a nick....a bit longer if you need to balance it.....you can apply as many coats as you want.........

truly amazing stuff.....

http://www.solarez.com/

ps you can get it in the uk....

Thanks for the help guys.

I guess my concern is that the epoxy/filler repair could detach when the prop is spinning at high rpm. Especially with a big repair as in the more damaged side of the prop.

Dan

If those are the pics of the prop then its a simple repair, layer it back up with the carbon fiber, then use carbon fibre to wrap round, ya will get it smooth but you will always see the join in the carbon, unless you paint it with polyurethane paint, oil based not water based. it will be like a new prop with strength like before maybe better