Nil wind launch confusion

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what all the fuss is about being over 50 or 55. I am 72 and have flown all my life in one form or another but with PPG so far restricted to Spain. Reason: You can fly every day usually. Just back in the UK for a couple of months then back to Spain for another session.

Can anyone tell me where I can fly in the UK anywhere near to Stafford?

It’s all about nil winds here in the Midwest US.  I lay the A’s in the crotch of my pointer finger and thumb and once the wing comes up around 75% they just pull free from my hands.  I’m still hesitating a little on giving throttle and I still look up to see that I have a good wing before I go full throttle.   That look up does cause me to slow down but I still not fully aware of the Wing by just feeling the pull on the harness yet.   My launches are very good but my landings are a work in progress.   Blue Skies!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 18:30, poz said:

We should organise an 'old farts' cross country charity flight, with the beneficiary being a new charity I will set up tasked with keeping old farts airborne. 

We could fly cross country from Lands End to.....erm  that cafe, you know, the one on the A30, 4 miles from Lands End :)

Ground crew, amongst others would need to consist of:

A Chiropractor, Meals on wheels....a priest, 

lol, poz love it im an old fart 63 , 4 miles to the cafe could you make that 2 miles what with incontinence and the need for a nice cup of tea,  

Thing is,when forward launching one has to apply brakes once wing is overhead...how can that be done without dropping the A's? You have to let them go to drop hands down to do this, otherwise your takeoff speed will be 35km/hr (glider approx trim speed). Brakes are applied to bring the launch speed down to minimum flying...which is roughly between 23 and 28km/hr depending on glider and weight).

There is no specific need to worry about when to let them go, just focus on braking as wing is overhead and power is applied and it happens automatically. One thing i believe is important is to err on the side of applying brakes a little bit too late rather than early. I often see guys letting go of A's before wing is flying overhead.

Edited by adamjedgar