SAT NAV gadget called AWARE

Anyone got one. I saw one yesterday that my club coach has got. £150 and you get free airspace updates for life. Screen looked big and map was like OS map with airspace in red and audible warning on approaching airspace. Looked really usefull.

Just like a few opinions before I part with my cash. Thanks guys

Dave

Anyone got one. I saw one yesterday that my club coach has got. £150 and you get free airspace updates for life. Screen looked big and map was like OS map with airspace in red and audible warning on approaching airspace. Looked really usefull.

Just like a few opinions before I part with my cash. Thanks guys

Dave

Sounds good in the review. The only problem I could find for PPG pilots was that an external power source would be needed as the internal rechargeable battery only lasts for an hour.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/Reviewed-Aware-GPS--Controlled-Airspace-Warning-Device--5558.php

Dan

Edited by Guest

I like my gadgets and I think this is a good idea,

But

1 - what's the battery life like?

2 - does it negate the law of flying with a paper chart?

3 - for £150 that's 10 years of buying paper charts

4 - if and when the batteries run out mid flight what are you going use?

5 - can you read the display in bright sunlight?

Woody.

I have a 96 Garmin Simon. Too many buttons for me. Do you think I would gain nowt then ? I must admit I haven't used it yet but am thinking about some XC this year. I pressume one would need to spend the extra 100 quid on the deluxe AWARE for navigation capabilities that the 96 already has ?

Dave

Mate you have the best possible kit for the job :-)

the 96c batteries last for ever, you can see the screen in bright sunlight... stores LOADS.... airspace, warnings, and so on....

Save you dosh, and use it to pop up for a fly from Membury, and I will take you through the Garmin so you can get the most from it. (it is simple do do most things with it, when you know how of course)

SW :D

Thanks for that simon. I could pop in soon. Trip to Cambridge and Yorkshire as soon as I can get away from the weeds and 2 more rabbits to get first. Maybe on the road this Friday if the weather's good. Show me how the Grmin works and I'll let you fly Ol' Flattie

Mate you have the best possible kit for the job :-)

the 96c batteries last for ever, you can see the screen in bright sunlight... stores LOADS.... airspace, warnings, and so on....

Save you dosh, and use it to pop up for a fly from Membury, and I will take you through the Garmin so you can get the most from it. (it is simple do do most things with it, when you know how of course)

SW :D

Dont listen to him Dave you need the Aware, in fact you need it so much I will buy it and give to you and take that old garmin 96c off your hands so you wont have try and get some one to buy it :D:D

i have a satmap active 10...which is amazing piece of kit...bright screen, goto mark function...big screen and good bat life...just waiting for airmaps to come available, then it will be the perfect kit for multi sport use...ie..i can use it on my mountain bike and greenlaning bike

i left the field the other night alone, for the first time and flew 12 miles to my mates house....it was going great till my machine broke down.....not good!!!..emergency landout and a phone call to rescue me!!

but thats a whole new thread!