Background

Was wondering what got you into ppg?

Do alot of guys come from other forms of flying?

Does anyone remember a paramotor training club near Basingstoke?

I think it has closed now but i done a three day course there about 15 yrs ago and not done it since till last year with Alex at the Lemmings.

Was wondering what got you into ppg?

Do alot of guys come from other forms of flying?

I came from 14 years of GA flying where everything is very serious. Serious people flying serious aircraft, with a serious amount regulation... and serious air traffic controllers who expect you to be every bit as serious as they are.

Serious money is involved...all the time and serious consequenses can be expected if you are caught breaking the CAA's (campaign against aviation) serious rules.

A serious runway is required and if your donkey stops...well, chances are you are in serious do do!

So why have I got into paramotor flying? See above :wink: (he says having just ripped off half his shoulder with a wooden propellor :oops: )

Dan

Years ago, on a ski vacation in the Alps I saw a parapente for the first time. Wow, quite interesting.

As I recall it must have been in 1983 or 1984, ages ago. I was flying the NF5 in the Dutch Air Force (I am Dutch). Being airborne was part of my life. But there was something special about this parapente.

Like most pilots I was very interested in all kinds of aviation. I have been a glider pilot, tried ultralights, been an instructor in general aviation aircraft, considered to build my own plane (Kitfox), spent a total of 11 years in the Air Force (NF5 and F16) and until now, just over 19 years flying with a tie and short sleeves (B747-400, B737-3/4/7/8/900 and A330-200).

So I have been flying flying fast, far, low, long, high, but never extremely slow.

Over the years I often considered to sign up for a course to learn to fly a parapente. There was always a reason not to sign up. Being to busy, not having enough leave, started a family, etc.

Being Dutch and living in The Netherlands there was one big problem: mountains. The highest spot elevation is about 300 ft. I live about 4 feet above sea level (at least 30 miles inland!) and the highest spot within 50 miles should be something like 50 ft. Not enough for free flight enjoyment.

About 10-12 years ago the first paramotor appeared over here. It was illegal. Rule 1 in Dutch aviation says:"Flying is prohibited, unless...". It took some time to get paramotoring legal. That happened in 2004.

Flying was legal, but to take off and land was a complete different ball game. Believe it or not, we are still working on a better regulation/legislation for take offs and landings. You can't just go to a farmer and get permission to use his farmland.

2 1/2 years ago my wife took the decision:"Frank, buy a kit, sign up for a course and go for it." Well, the misses might reconsider it so don't waste time and I immediately took action upon her words.

One of the best decisions in my flying carreer. I love to fly my paramotor. We can't fly low, the limit is 500ft AGL and the maximum altitude is 1200ft. If you carry a transponder you may take it to higher in class E airspace.

I don't know what it is. I broke my collar bone 7 weeks ago (mountain bike accident). I am fit to fly paramotors again. Today could have been the first paramotor day since my "crash". It was way to windy. Tomorrows forecast looks a lot better. I just want to go up now, it's a disease. I got contaminated. Most of you will, presumeably, recognize this.

Imagine, January, 3rd 2010. It was damn'd cold, well below freezing level. Four guys in their mid and late forties just returned from a flight. It was just before sunset, we were shivering, in the middle of nowhere (that's possible over here ;-) and we enjoyed being together. I tried to explain this special feeling to others over and over....I gave up.

So it's not just the flying.

Happy landings,

Frank

http://www.frankmoorman.nl

I just want to go up now, it's a disease. I got contaminated. Most of you will, presumeably, recognize this.]

Brilliant post frank, we all feel like this.

I tried to explain this special feeling to others over and over....I gave up.

So it's not just the flying.

It's difficult but I think that's why many of us love this forum, we can all understand :D

Cheers,

Alan