PAP 1100AS / TOP 80 Help please..

g-nipr

Hello,

Recently joined member needing a little help and advice regarding my unit.

I have a TOP 80 / PAP 1100 AS and am getting close to flying it for the first time.

Last night I went to a deserted beach to practice running with motor and wing attached, there was no wind and I didnt expect to fly.

A couple of successful 'runs' were had before I heard a slight tap behind me.

The engine was still running and there was no vibration so I ran again. Crack again!

I then stopped and removed it from my back to see a slight nick in the prop on both tips.

Further investigations reveal that the clearance of the prop tip to the cage on one side was around 3.5 inches, on the other barely 2.

Therefore there is some sidethrust either built in, or unintentionally in to my unit.

The side with the smaller gap then seems to touch the prop when load is taken up by the wing on the carabiners.

Is this difference in clearance normal? Can I adjust it by adjusting the four engine mount bolts and rubbers to get equal clearance?

The cage doesnt appear to be distorted at all and the top cage fits to the bottom with ease.

Any help or advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Paul.

Hello,

Recently joined member needing a little help and advice regarding my unit.

I have a TOP 80 / PAP 1100 AS and am getting close to flying it for the first time.

Last night I went to a deserted beach to practice running with motor and wing attached, there was no wind and I didnt expect to fly.

A couple of successful 'runs' were had before I heard a slight tap behind me.

The engine was still running and there was no vibration so I ran again. Crack again!

I then stopped and removed it from my back to see a slight nick in the prop on both tips.

Further investigations reveal that the clearance of the prop tip to the cage on one side was around 3.5 inches, on the other barely 2.

Therefore there is some sidethrust either built in, or unintentionally in to my unit.

The side with the smaller gap then seems to touch the prop when load is taken up by the wing on the carabiners.

Is this difference in clearance normal? Can I adjust it by adjusting the four engine mount bolts and rubbers to get equal clearance?

The cage doesnt appear to be distorted at all and the top cage fits to the bottom with ease.

Any help or advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Paul.

Hi Paul and welcome to the site, I have not heard of a PAP 1100as having a top 80 motor, they usually have the old solo 210, so theres a chance this motor was retrofitted to the pap frame, in wich case you need to check it has been fitted correctly, I know this sounds silly but have you checked your prop blades are of equal length?

When I had my 1100as I had the tip of one the blades catch the frame once and take a nick out of it, this was down to the engine mounting rubbers being old and soft, I replaced them and that cured the problem.

Dave