Top 80 Problem, HELP!

fuel9m

Hiya

I have a PAP 1400 Top 80 with just 7 hours on it and have encountered a wee problem.

Was flying tonight and decided to kill the engine at 2000ft for a glide down. Progressively reduced the rpm from 8000 to the idle rpm of 2200 then switched engine off. After landing and a short rest I tried to start the motor but the pull start cord wouldnt budge. The prop can be spun the opposite way to normal but doesnt spin the way it should. Dont think the engine is seized because everything was fine before I switched it off. Seems like it could be a clutch issue - ie its somehow engaged and stuck on.

Has anyone else encountered this and got any suggestions before I start stripping bits off??

Thanks for any help!

Joe.

Hiya

I have a PAP 1400 Top 80 with just 7 hours on it and have encountered a wee problem.

Was flying tonight and decided to kill the engine at 2000ft for a glide down. Progressively reduced the rpm from 8000 to the idle rpm of 2200 then switched engine off. After landing and a short rest I tried to start the motor but the pull start cord wouldnt budge. The prop can be spun the opposite way to normal but doesnt spin the way it should. Dont think the engine is seized because everything was fine before I switched it off. Seems like it could be a clutch issue - ie its somehow engaged and stuck on.

Has anyone else encountered this and got any suggestions before I start stripping bits off??

Thanks for any help!

Joe.

I you cant spin the prop then it could be the gearbox, just undo the two nuts holding it on to the engine and remove it then try to turn the prop.

When you turn the prop now is it turning the engine over? if so then the clutch is dragging and will need looking at.