PPG risers or not?

lib

Hello folks,

I have an APCO vista (not the HP) and I was wondering if I need to use PPG risers with it? I have yet to get a paramotor so I can't really see how it hangs (so to speak).

I have seen a couple of companies make reference to them but have not found anyone selling any. I assume they are make and model specific?

Thanks!

Paul

You can order them direct from Apco or via their UK dealers.

Perfectly safe to fly your Vista on the standard PG risers, but the PPG trimmers will give you a bit more useful speed range. They also give different hang points in case you get a motor with high hang points.

Easy & quick to swap over, providing you do one riser / maillon at a time (keeping all lines in their original positions) and mark the position of the toggles on the brake line before changing.

Thanks for that.

So, if I wanted to use my paragliding wing for both paragliding and paramotoring, then I would either need to keep swapping the risers over (not really practical) or use the paraglider risers for both, in which case I would have to make sure my harness attaches lower down?

Thanks,

Paul

You could use PG risers for both, but the better option would be to use Apco's paramotor risers for both - just leave the trimmers in the closed (slow) position. I have flown my Apco Thrust with & without the motor using the PPG risers and it performed perfectly. Their website also recommends PPG risers for both (unless you only ever free fly).

For a low hang point paramotor the only difference is having trimmers or not. You can still use a speedbar for extra speed, but trimmers are easier.

A high hang point paramotor with normal PG risers would make the brakes sit higher up than for free flying. This could make it awkward to launch and tiring on your arms during longer flights. You could extend the brake lines by moving the toggles further down - but you should consult your instructor or a dealer before doing this.

• 3 weeks later...
I am still looking into this and I think I will purchase some. I was worrying about swapping them over though. How do I ensure I have the correct lengths?

Thanks!

Paul

If you are in any doubt take them to your instructor or send them to the loft.