Aeronautical chart question

duncan_burdorf

As I am starting my flying lessons next week I’m trying to do as much homework as possible and so far its going well but I cant get my head around the following and hope that an experienced UK aviator can clarify it for me.

I bought the new “Sheet 8 England South Edition 8 (2010)” 1:250 000 chart and can see a (red) “Class A” line go all the way out into the North Sea from London Stansted.

I live in Colchester and can see West of Colchester “LTMA [A] 4500+” does this mean that a paramotor can fly below that altitude without a radio or is a radio required at all levels within these boundaries?

I would appreciate a simple answer as I’m a novice.

Many thanks

Duncan

Untitled-1.jpg

Colchester is under loads of controlled airspace but I think your ok upto fl55 dropping to fl45 to the west. I wouldn't go anywhere near that though because you may accidently go into controlled airspace.

I think LTMA stands for "London Terminal Maneuvering Area"

I'm sure someone else can give you more detail.

Tom :D

Hi Tom and Neilzy,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

So I was correct in thinking that its OK to paramotor in this area as long as I stay below those altitudes.

Regarding Neilzy's question, I'm will be having lessons in Braintree from Alex and Mike.

Do you fly in the area?

Many thanks again.

Duncan

I fly out from Sible Hedingham area over to Bures etc all around there. I am mainly under Stanstead 3500 airspace. I dont go over 2500 which is a nice safe margin.

Avoid 'G' glider sites (Blue G and circle) and the Military zone, where you will be target practice, Bradwell power station whenst you will glow in the dark, these two are clearly marked with red diagonal lines. Make sure you understand the map for the area you will be flying in.

PPG Bible has a good explanation of air space.

A little tip. I often take a scan or photo of the piece of map I will be flying in. Print it out and carry that on my flight.

If you have a site to fly from PM me, we could hook up, (don't announce it on the forum).

Theres a couple from Colchester area and more than a few in the surrounding area.

Will you be going to Farmer Bills fly in this weekend? White Colne just off Colchester Road.

Vince

...PPG Bible has a good explanation of air space...

The one section of Jeff Goins PPG Bible that should be avoided (unless you fly in the US) is the section on airspace. The US has more exemptions from ICAO standard than any other nation, particularly over airspace matters, so consequently referral to this section should actively be discouraged.

True it is very American. But I found the basics were there to understand how to read a chart. I guess you are right, in depth it could get confusing.

I was linked to some good chart Reading information once, any one have a link like that. I lost it years ago.

Duncan, I have a busy weekend lined up but I will be trying to get overTo the fly in and hopefully have a quick fly too.

ATZ's, MATZ's, Unicom, transition altitude, airspace classifications, R/T phraseology, Flight Rule differences, etc, etc... it's harder to find a similarity than a difference.

For air law and airspace understanding you must get training material for the JAA member state you choose to operate in. This is not debatable, just the law. This should then be combined with a basic understanding of the ANO.

Ur! my mistake and bad advice. I looked back in my book collection and it was 'Paramotoring from the Ground up' Noel Whittall. Old book.

Not the PPG bible. Fanman is right, its all American based.

Sorry, this was a few years back when I last looked at this stuff and got my books mixed up. I just remember ppg bible being quite good and it is for the technique stuff.

I'll shut up and go back in my corner now.

I haven't read or seen Noel Whittalls book but as he is UK based that should be suitable. However it might not have been updated recently so be aware of that. Should contain a good balance though of UK air law, airspace and the ANO so should be good reading as Vince says. The rest of Jeff Goins book and web site is probably the best resource for paramotoring available though.