Combined GPS/Vario or Separate Units?

wodens

I'm still kitting myself out for the day I finally take to the sky, so I'm also spending time seeking advice on the best kit to use. One thing I am looking in to at the moment is whether people prefer a combined GPS and vario, or whether separate units are the best way forward.

If I run a Google search on this I get overwhelmed by results, so thought I'd post on here for some thoughts from people who are already out there using them.

If I could ask two simple questions - which do you prefer, and why?

Hi Neil ,

Was in the same boat as you and one of the bits of kit that I'm not having to replace or upgrade so far is my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx .

It can be set to show speed , heading , verticle speed , odometer , total time , elevation and time of day all on one screen . It can log flights and it's all downloadable to my pc somehow :? Still getting to grips with it but I'd recommend one.

Got mine off of E-Bay for £130 second hand.

Tim

I have the Garmin 60 Csx as well and I am very happy with it. I have even got the basic OS mapping you can get from Garmin on it which is handy. Pretty easy to flick between map and data modes in the air with gloves on. The screen does not reflect the sun too much either.

The Bauniger pete b is referring to is perfect, you don't need a complicated one.

I bought the previous model (AV Pilot) off ebay for £100 some time back.

I haven't bothered with a GPS, if I'm going somewhere I'll use a map and compass.

A good look at the route on Google Earth before hand can be helpful..

Cheers,

Alan

Cheers Gents, a good bit of information for me to chew on. It'll be a little while before I need to actually go out and buy one so I'll have a good read about the different models mentioned.

Well get on and get your bum in the air :D you are missing some good flying weather

Pete, I was hoping to arrange something for next week, but was asked to go to Italy instead to visit our factory. The following week I'm booked for the USA, so hopefully the following week I'll book some time off. Hopefully....

Anybody thought about the NATS ‘Aware’ system yet!

I know the altimeter is not that accurate and battery life is short, but if you connect it to your motor and with the airspace proximity built in with free downloads – it must be a ‘look at’?

Tony

Check out the Oregon 550 features, it has everything you want PLUS it sends your GPS coords to other Oregon and Colorado users...if for some strange reason your buddy goes down and you didn't see him/her, you can fly to where he or she is.

Treat yourself,

Marko D :mrgreen: