Gold star headset

No Goldstar sets will not work with Icom brand radios- it's not the connector.. its something to do with the electronics... Spoke to James Davies himself about it, and there 'were' no plans to do anything on this- he personally recommended the Microavionics headset to me when i moved onto airband.

I still have the Goldstar headset- it's brilliant- light, cheap, works brilliantly with 2meter, and PMR radios. If you have no intention to go airband, then it's the best buy. If you want to be compatible with airband, 2m, and PMR then i'd recommend the Microavionics kit.

Its more expensive than the Goldstar, heavier, and the unit needs to be regularly recharged - separate power source from the radio (battery built into headset). The Goldstar units are powered from the radio itself, and do not need recharging.

GD

Icom radios require a change of the dip switch settings (mic moved from tip to ring) to work with the MicroAvionics headset... however the Vertex Standard VXA-220 (with CT44 adapter) and the VXA-300 (with CT91 adapter) will work with the MicroAvionics without changing the dip switches from the 2m/PMR settings. I reckon these airbands may well work with the Goldstar which is why I suggested a bit of testing earlier on. I have a suitable airband and adapter but don't have a Goldstar to try it on.

Gordon, MicroAvionics say that you can't make an adapter to get their headset to work with Kenwood radios but Alan and I have proved that to be wrong. Never say never.

No Goldstar sets will not work with Icom brand radios- it's not the connector.. its something to do with the electronics... Spoke to James Davies himself about it, and there 'were' no plans to do anything on this- he personally recommended the Microavionics headset to me when i moved onto airband.

I still have the Goldstar headset- it's brilliant- light, cheap, works brilliantly with 2meter, and PMR radios. If you have no intention to go airband, then it's the best buy. If you want to be compatible with airband, 2m, and PMR then i'd recommend the Microavionics kit.

Its more expensive than the Goldstar, heavier, and the unit needs to be regularly recharged - separate power source from the radio (battery built into headset). The Goldstar units are powered from the radio itself, and do not need recharging.

GD

I have a goldstar headset, it works with my alcino 2 mtr band radio and it works with my icom a2e airband radio with no problems..

i have since made a headset for a friend. i used a pair of ear defenders, a head set from the pound shop( has flexable boom mic). couple of adaptors, 1 3.5 sterio to 3.5 mono and 1 3.5 sterio to 2.5 mono, also 1 switch push to make none locking, this goes in line with the mic + connection. the set works exactly the same as the gold star with louder and clearer audio!!

the gold star speakers are naff, I have had to change 1 after 1 hrs use, kept going on and off then off. fitted a pound shop speaker in it.

The Goldstar headset does not work with Airband as airband requires more electronics to work properly. If you want to easily change from PMR/ 2m band to Airband or use both radios as once, then the MA PM100 is the only headset that I know of.

I'll be looking into the Kenwood compatibility a little more, as I see one of you say you have made an adaptor.

Regards,

Eddie Cartwright

MicroAvionics UK Ltd

GD

I have a goldstar headset, it works with my alcino 2 mtr band radio and it works with my icom a2e airband radio with no problems..

i have since made a headset for a friend. i used a pair of ear defenders, a head set from the pound shop( has flexable boom mic). couple of adaptors, 1 3.5 sterio to 3.5 mono and 1 3.5 sterio to 2.5 mono, also 1 switch push to make none locking, this goes in line with the mic + connection. the set works exactly the same as the gold star with louder and clearer audio!!

the gold star speakers are naff, I have had to change 1 after 1 hrs use, kept going on and off then off. fitted a pound shop speaker in it.

Your correct, The Goldstar will work with A2/ A20. These are a very old airband radio (quite good) and they use the same wiring as other PMR and 2m radios. The problem is for airband radios made after the A2/ A20 stopped production as the wiring changed after these models. However, for airband/ AM frequency, you may need some better screening on the headband, curly and boom.

Regards

Eddie

MicroAvionics UK Ltd

• 3 years later...

I have a Goldstar headset, plugged it into my ICON A2 last night, did a radio test with the local ATC and it works fine. This was one of the reasons I bought an ICOM A2 on Ebay instead of getting a more modern radio. The range and distance on the A2 is fine and the Goldstar was very clear too.

Giles