Paramotoring boots

matt_k

Hanwags are pricey, fairly heavy, but IMO the best. 8)

I've worn them on day long hikes through deep snow & ice, plus the hot & rocky Atlas mountains in Morocco (where they saved me from a broken ankle after stumbling on launch). Always comfortable, never had a blister or suffered cold or sweaty feet, and I trust them with my fuelled up weight of 150kg on the motor.

• 2 weeks later...

i have hanwags, and if you are asking if they are worth the money then i would have to say that i dont know, but what i do know is that i had a heavy landing 9 years ago wearing cheap boots and broke my ankle. I have never felt pain like it - 3 months in plaster! I am not going to take that risk again.......

I've got the Hanwag Sky GTX, which are much lighter than the original Hanwags. Running faster (on take off) was much easier with these than the hiking boots i used to wear, due to the light weight. They also have very good support and a bouncy sole.

Highly recommended if you can put up with the colour, which seems to have toned down a bit now.

Stuart.

• 7 years later...

For me the Hanwag Super Fly GTX...I personally tested them with a serious impact when PPGing. They recon I hit the ground at around 45mph the right foot took the initial impact, subsequent conversations with doctors they recon the boot saved the right foot from shattering injuries. The paramedics promised me they were only cutting the laces (they in fact cut both boots pretty much in half!!) I wasnt in a position to argue as bottom to top I ended up with only black and blue foot from toe to ankle strained Achilles & Crucial ligaments, but from there up mashed right thigh & glut muscles, smashed pelvis, distended vertebrae L4-L5, open fracture to right arm, dislocated right shoulder and a split head. If Hanwag ever do flying suits I'm in one. They were just getting nicely broken in, 2 year old and still pretty, will be buying a new pair this summer. Other brands are available but I wont be offering to test those thanks very much.

I use Hanwag Sky GTX, quality boots highly recommended, you can still walk in them!
Some brands that have extra support plates looks really nice too. I guess they offer even more protection than the Hanwag. What made my final decision for Hanwag was good price (cheapest) and short shipping distance.

If you buy boots with lace hooks, do yourself a favor and either change them to loops, or cover them in a way you are 100% sure that you never can catch a line with them.

Then there is this http://www.activeankle.com/ I've read that some skydivers use it. Not sure how common it is, but looks like a solution if you fly with cushioned running shoes or something.

What I  really want for my next PPG boot is one with https://www.theboasystem.com/. I have it on my working boots and on my cycling shoes, easy to adjust, failsafe. Will consider regular hiking boots next time just to get Boa, so much better imo.

A shattered foot is complex to fix, not worth to be unprotected for even one bad landing.

I've always been keen on the Hanwag brand since I first saw them many years ago in my free-flying days.

My concern about ordering boots online......is hoping you get the right size, what with the different types of measurements etc.

Is there some fool-proof method of getting the right size? Because all the shoes I've ever bought, I've tried them on first, and sometimes I am one size and then another depending on what brand. I really want to order a pair through Amazon (I live out in the sticks in Thailand)|, but am unsure as to be confident of getting the right size,

Any help greatly appreciated.....Cheers

1 hour ago, rsquared said:

I've always been keen on the Hanwag brand since I first saw them many years ago in my free-flying days.

My concern about ordering boots online......is hoping you get the right size, what with the different types of measurements etc.

Is there some fool-proof method of getting the right size? Because all the shoes I've ever bought, I've tried them on first, and sometimes I am one size and then another depending on what brand. I really want to order a pair through Amazon (I live out in the sticks in Thailand)|, but am unsure as to be confident of getting the right size,

Fool proof method.....go to shop, try them on. Order online at much cheaper price.

8 hours ago, rsquared said:

I bought a pair of the big, heavy Hanwags.  With a very dodgy ankle after shattering a heel years ago they literally have been a super solid purchase.  I would never have got through CP training in a ploughed field without them.  The Hanwag fitting to me seemed very exact.  I am a 8.5, with Merrils or Salomons I take a whole size above.  The Hanwags that I bought in an 8.5 give me just enough room to wear semi-thick socks and be a good fit.  Even thin socks still allows the boots to be really tightened up and become very supportive.  I bought online (living in Zambia there ain't much choice) and to be honest they are I think about the only time I bought a brand online that fitted right first time.  Hope that helps and also works for you.  

• Upvote 1

Thank you Gilmour for your reply, glad to see one member willing to offer sensible advice.

One question if you don't mind, what is the measurement of your foot from heel to big toe in cm's or inches.....reason being, after looking at all the different charts for shoe sizes, I am curious as to how the 8.5 size compares to your actual foot measurement.

Cheers

On 5/30/2017 at 17:41, rsquared said:

Thank you Gilmour for your reply, glad to see one member willing to offer sensible advice.

One question if you don't mind, what is the measurement of your foot from heel to big toe in cm's or inches.....reason being, after looking at all the different charts for shoe sizes, I am curious as to how the 8.5 size compares to your actual foot measurement.

Cheers

rsquared, I just got out a measuring tape and 26cm seems to be pretty accurate from big toe to the bit of my heel that sticks out the most! Hope that helps. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2017 at 14:32, Gilmour Dickson said:

rsquared, I just got out a measuring tape and 26cm seems to be pretty accurate from big toe to the bit of my heel that sticks out the most! Hope that helps. 

Thank you Gilmour......that does help....Cheers.

• 1 year later...