Insurance

Come on Simon, you have been making 'almost' promises for some time now, but nothing has yet materialised.

If you want to catch the proverbial worm of the jilted On Risk clientèle, I suspect your bird may have to show up pretty early.

There are many, myself included who want to get back on the insurance wagon (mine lapsed due to fubared hip making it pretty superfluous).

Phil

Phil,

If you can call 2 weeks a long time so be it.

I am working on it, as are others. Please don't add pressure by demanding information. It's a fragile situation and this type of business communications is not an overnight thing.

Were on the case along with some others, and doing the best we can.

As soon as I have something to tell you all I will tell you all. If you can't wait until then, call any of the above numbers and talk to them yourself.

SW :D

Sorry Simon, but I thought I had recollections of you discussing a new up and coming insurance for Paramotor Club 'members' back in Dec. '08.

Perhaps this was purely instructor cover, although I thought there was talk about flexibility of cover.

I didn't mean to imply that two weeks was a long time, it's just I thought this had been on the cards longer than that.

Phil

We did go through the motions in 08 and ended up deciding on the On-Risk Cover. We were just at the end of a 12-month trial before 'club' benefits were introduced.

Now it's all go again, so attempt 1 failed at the last hurdle.... this is now attempt 2 :-)

All,

Just to give you an update on the current situation as far as the PMC and Insurance is concerned.

I have the full agreement / backing of a Broker to do business with us.

I have meetings with 3 underwriters, 2 of them have showed a solid interest and I am sure they will both make an offer, the 3rd is less excited.

A Paramotor specific policy is on the cards, with great discounts for PPG1 ratings, I will of course be suggesting that BHPA 'power' rated pilots will be able to have an assessment to PPG1 level to attract the same discounts as a PMC member.

We have had a short conversation about comp insurance and it sounds very much like (event) specific insurance will be available as the way to go for people taking part in comps or anything else with added risk.

I am not into using the sport for competition and I don't have comp experience so will be calling on someone who is to accompany me to that meeting Whitters? Piers? anyone else? to help to quantify the added risk involved. One thing is for sure, if you compete in comps you will pay more than someone who flies twice a month from a local field.

We are not in a rush to get this done, more that we want to do it once and do it correctly so that we can all enjoy a solid policy for years to come.

The aim, awesome legal, 3rd party & theft cover in the short term with the addition of personal accident insurance for high net worth individuals added later, EU cover included.

If I had to give a % of completion for this proposal, I would say it's 60% done and still moving at a decent pace.

To clarify, this insurance will be available to all, including self taught, a PPG1 assessment will attract a GOOD discount, comp / adventure pilots will be able to insure specific events at an extra cost.

If your insurance is coming up for renewal or you don't have any at all watch this space closely!

Again... more information as I get it.

I have been loosely following the thread and it would seem that a BHPA Power rated pilot such as myself would need to be assessed to see if I can conform to PMC standards. Does that mean that the PMC rated pilots are trained to a more advanced level than that of the BHPA if the BHPA rating is regarded as insufficient for insurance purposes?

John Coutts

We are creating the insurance for 'our' members. You still have the same options as a BHPA member and can choose to not use our insurance.

The insurance company are working with the 'PMC' not the BHPA to insure 'our' ops manual.

As crude as it sounds, if you want the discount you will have to be assessed and signed off by a PMC instructor / panel examiner.

I am sure the BHPA would say the same to me.

Hummm,

I am not coming from anywhere :?:?

It is what it is..

The broker is using the PMC manual to base a policy on. That means our standard (be it higher or lower then the BHPA's) has to be assessed to.

We are setting it up this way also to reward the people who get training and encourage more to do so. It is no secret that the BHPA were attracting more people in by allowing them to sit a simple paper based exam as a 'quick entry' system, but we feel quite strongly against the same process in the interest of fairness and safety. I just don't see how it can be fair to the people who have had real training and have been supporting members for years to have the same policy / cost, as someone who has taught them selfs and ticked some boxes. I am not saying it's wrong it's the way that was chosen for whatever reason... It's just my opinion... but it's also me taking the time out and spending the money to get this done our way so that good well trained pilots can benefit from great cover and are not carrying the cost of those that did not choose to do the same.

Now, that sounds like a dig at the BHPA but it's not... they are the only people that I can compare / comment on. They are doing something well for sure as they have been around since the dark ages.

Peace to all who fly I say.

One thing is for sure, insurance is like politics... The less we can talk about it the better.

• 1 month later...

Onrisk finish on a very low note in my opinion, they sent my renewal and payment request, I duly sent back the cheque as requested (several months ago now) but I did not receive any documentation. I read on here how they were honouring renewals so I was not too worried. Since still not hearing from them and wanting to double check insurance for the fly-in I rang them to chase for my certificate and they told me they had destroyed the cheque but not informed me WTF :evil:

Luckily the lovely girls at Joint were able to give me cover within 24 hours for the same renewal rate so I'm covered again, very lucky I did not need the cover that I presumed I had ! :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

All,

The current situation with the Insurance company and the PMC is not good :-(

At the same time as I have been talking to the insurers a group of 'cyclists' of all things have also been proposing business to the same insurance company.

The cyclists have 12,600 members and are paying a premium 3x that of our expected cost.

So in a nutshell, the insurance company and underwriters have decided at the final hurdle to freeze our proposal and work on the cyclists first.

The delay could be as much as 12 months :-(

Join Aviation Services are now issuing policies and not just renewals.

I am going to continue to talk to as many insurers as I can and am going to look in to the possibility of setting up a small insurance company to insure PMC members which may actually be easier.

Sorry to all of you, I had no idea that this of all things would scupper our efforts over the last year+.

Onwards and upwards, I WILL solve this one!